Ram And Pagefile?

i have 1 gb of ddr400 corsair xms memory and i bought an additional 512mb. will 1.5gb be enough so that i can safely turn off pagefile? i play games only no 3d modeling or anything like that.

according to M$, you're supposed to set the pagefile to 1.5x the amount of ram, but if you aren't going to be using it, I don't see why you can't disable it completely. If you do use one, make sure it's set to the same size for min and max.

I'm sure you know it, but in order to see a max amount of how much you'd use, let it run for a day or two, repeatedly opening and closing apps you generally use, play online, play games, always keeping task manager open. If you never go over 75% usage, I'd say go for it. If your physical RAM does start to fill up, you'd see a big performance decrease and reboot. If it does completely fill up, your machine will just crash..

I hate to threadjack, but I'm having nothing but problems with my page file. It keeps getting corrupted for some reason, and it takes me a good half an hour to trudge through all the blue screens to get everything working again. Any ideas why? Bad HDD maybe?

Incidentally, with 1GB of RAM, I have my page file set to 500MB min and 1500MB max.

if you shut off your pagefile and have a system crash - your gonna get screwed - pagefile is temporary memory that stays on the harddrive untill the system says that it is no longer needed and keeps getting cycled in and out

if say you turn off your pagefile, then windows takes a dump, when you reboot the system- it will not figure out how to correct the problem and you will be continuously having the SAME problem

if you need to shut off your page file for system performance issues - its time to start reconfiguring your systems hardware -

DONT TURN OFF YOUR PAGE FILE!!!

I think there was a chat about this in another post, the guy had 2gb of ram, and wanted to know if he could turn of pf. If you really want to mess with paging files, jus tturn them low, that way you wont lose your information. For average users 100mb is good if you have a lot of ram. For people in vid conversion, or anything that takes up a lot of ram, then dont even think of turning pf down. More pf will not hurt your performance greatly.

if you shut off your pagefile and have a system crash - your gonna get screwed - pagefile is temporary memory that stays on the harddrive untill the system says that it is no longer needed and keeps getting cycled in and out

if say you turn off your pagefile, then windows takes a dump, when you reboot the system- it will not figure out how to correct the problem and you will be continuously having the SAME problem

if you need to shut off your page file for system performance issues - its time to start reconfiguring your systems hardware -

DONT TURN OFF YOUR PAGE FILE!!!

:withstupid: