Help!--i'm Lost

Help!! I am lost. I upgraded my MOBO and CPu to an AMD Athlon64 3200+ and a MSI K8N Neo Platium. I am excited to let it run, but as soon as I boot it up, XP starts and then displays a stop screen (Thats what Windows calls it anyway, it's a blue screen) The system never makes it into Windows. So I rebooted into safe mode and looked at event viewer and it says that some drivers didn't load. Well 1st off I'm not sure how the OS expects me to install drivers when it won't let me into windows, but I rebooted into safe mode and windows ran at that point. I installed drivers for the MoBo and rebooted and then I couldn't even get into Windows in safe mode let alone the standard side of Windows. I then reinstalled Windows and had the same problem. At this point I am getting frustrated so I wipe the hard drive completely and install windows. Same thing. I tried various ways for 2 days and still had no luck. I am lost at this point and am not sure where to go from here. I am currently thinking that my version of XP pro is to old for the 64 bit cpu, but I would hate to run out and buy the newest version and that not be the problem. So I came to the experts. Does any one have an idea?

Ok i surrender! Big Red knows all so go with his plan... one thing... how can he run it if he cant get to windows???... I never used memtest before so its ok to kick my arse if i am asking a stupid question lol.

I can't download anything becuase I can't get into windows. So that puts the 64 bit version of windows out. I am not familiar with memtest. What does it do? Could by chance I have a very old version of XP that is missing something that the newer versions have to help the 64 bit?

Help!! I am lost. I upgraded my MOBO and CPu to an AMD Athlon64 3200+ and a MSI K8N Neo Platium. I am excited to let it run, but as soon as I boot it up, XP starts and then displays a stop screen (Thats what Windows calls it anyway, it's a blue screen) The system never makes it into Windows. So I rebooted into safe mode and looked at event viewer and it says that some drivers didn't load. Well 1st off I'm not sure how the OS expects me to install drivers when it won't let me into windows, but I rebooted into safe mode and windows ran at that point. I installed drivers for the MoBo and rebooted and then I couldn't even get into Windows in safe mode let alone the standard side of Windows. I then reinstalled Windows and had the same problem. At this point I am getting frustrated so I wipe the hard drive completely and install windows. Same thing. I tried various ways for 2 days and still had no luck. I am lost at this point and am not sure where to go from here. I am currently thinking that my version of XP pro is to old for the 64 bit cpu, but I would hate to run out and buy the newest version and that not be the problem. So I came to the experts. Does any one have an idea?

Try windows 64 , It kicks A$$ . I Hate Win 32 now it just plain sucks to win 64.

Also try a Differnt Stick of ram

windows 64 bit download can be found here . You need to brun the ISO to a cd

https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp64/produ...d=winxp64&id=dl

The only things that dont work in win 64 are bruning programs and some games but everyone i own worked , doom 3 is fricken sweet on windows 64 over win 32 and i got a 10 frame Jump on win 64

Shadow, I can't access that link. Also I can't download anything because I can't get into windows. Right now I am using a work computer. There is no way I can dl a 450meg file without getting reamed hard......... :) Any other ideas? Regular XP has to work with the 64 chip. That is why I am thinking I have a corrupt XP disc.

do you have a friend with a CD burner? If so, download and burn it there. Instead of that, or in addition to that, you should download and burn a copy of Knoppix (http://www.distrowatch.com). An additional benefit of this is it's another OS, and if it fails to load in a similar way, it could mean bad hardware - ram or otherwise.

Also, if Knoppix does run properly, you can always get your machine online to do other downloads without getting in trouble at work or living at a friend's house just to get online...

just download memtest on a floppy, boot to floppy and away you go. it's less than 1mb to download it.

another one I was just reminded of is TEMPS. if your heatsink isn't on right it can cause this kind of spastic behavior

NEWPORT: BIGRED DOES KNOWS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL. I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING :)