Computer Problems

Newport

Have you tryed to do a restore to an earlier date before you had problrms? Also have you hit the F8 key or which ever key on your system gives you the choices of safe mode and try going back to the last good known operating cofigeration? Also you can try this to see if all of you system files are there and working , go to start then run type

SFC /scannow be sure to leave a space between the SFC and the slash you will be prompted to insert you windows disc but this will check and fix any missing or corrupted operating system files in windows this will only work with win 2000 and XPs

Edited by road-runner

Sorry for not being able to get back sooner.... Each day i am finding new probelms that have to be dealt with. Just after i got home, i cannot open Internet Explorer without it giving me a critical error and saying i have to close my internet. My computer will not recognize any of my 2 CD-RW drivers nor my Floppy drive. It will recognize my Digi camera slot though. I cannot put the XP disk in to chech for errors because it will not read it. I will try a reformat of the HDD but, i am afraid that something much more complicated has happened and a simple reformat will not work. Thanks for all your help.

P.S. I have owned 4 Gateway PC in the past years and i have never had anything go wrong other then a defective monitor so i do not think the PSU is messed up.

EDIT~~~ Yes i ran a restore to a date 2 months ago which was the last time i did a major restore date. I think that there is something messed up with teh Mobo because i know for a fact that everything else is working fine so a simple Reformat of a HDD or a System Restore will not help any.

Edited by Newport

when was the last time you updated your anti virus and actually ran it?? I have that same folding running on my server and i have no problems at all. Sounds more viral than anything to me............

AAHHHH!! Please don't use sytem restore. It's the worst utility ever created. It does not remove problem files from your computer. All it does is rewrite the registry to an earlier date and role back a few files. The old data and problem files will remain on your HD and can still cause problems.

First off, backup your important data immediately. This is very important and I beg you to do it before more things start to go wrong. IE crashing is a bad sign as it is embedded in the OS and is rooted into the directory stucture.

If your IE is crashing, this is a major issue that shows there are deep problems with the OS. Run the virus scan and see if it finds anything. You can also try scanninng for adware, which has been known to cause some problems. In the end I think your best bet is to wipe the HD(complete format, NOT quick. And back) and reinstall windows.

This will take far less time than hunting for problems that in the end you may not be able to solve. After a clean install if you keep having problems then you know it's a hardware problem.

One last shot in the dark, try scanning the drive for bad sectors. You could have a dying HD which is causing file corruption. Hope some of this helps....

Back-up reformat and reinstall unless you cant

:smack:

your problems sound bad

i thought being without internet for a day was hell

i agree with xtry maybe your hard drive is giving up the ghost if more and more things are going wrong

but does sound viral like though.....

that litterly made me laugh when hhe said fahh core was running, I can just see a few of my users asking me that, and I try ti explain is a network print mapper, and it's consitantly searchh for new printers to add. hhahahaha

man i havent seen you at OCC for atleast 6 months now lol. Thats pretty funny what you did, i just say its an antivirus type of program the constantly scans your drive. LOL

but i will second (or 3rd) the possibility that your HDD is dying, i had a gateway that had a hdd fail after 1 and a half years.

I still think its your PSU. A bad psu can cause a gripload of problems, and gateways ARE known for having bad psu's.

LOL. Do you happen to have a buddy that knows something about computers?

btw: I laughed out loud (literally) at this, because we can all relate. :P