M.2 Drives Compare

Rokkaholik

I've been ridiculously happy with my Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive since I got it, but with the new Borderlands 3 coming out, my 256gb OS drive is a little small, so I'm going to double it. Money is tight right now, but I got the wife to actually agree to "allowing" me to get a larger drive. The price differences on Newegg between the 970 Pro 512gb and the 970 EVO Plus 500gb are $169 vs $119. Comparing the specs, they look extremely similar....

What exactly is the big difference performance-wise?

Edited by Rokkaholik

The difference is longevity and higher write speeds. Still you won't kill the EVO drive in writes. 150TB~ is a lot for a consumer.

Have you checked out WD new Blue NVMe drive? 500GB $70. Thinking of getting one myself. Just make sure its the newest one. Not last years model.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-SN500-500GB-NVMe-Internal/dp/B07P7TFKRH

I think I may have looked at that one. I've had absolutely zero problems with the Samsung I have now which is why I was going to stick with them. The wife saw me looking and OK'd the cheaper one, so I went with the EVO Plus. 500gb should be plenty future-proof for just an OS and a few games. All my Docs, Videos, and Music are on separate drives

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed the Inland performance M.2 Gen 4x4.0 1TB and right away it was seen in bios (this new ASUS X570 TUF w/wifi) but nowhere to be found in Windows. So after googling around I found I needed to go back in and assign a Gen for M.2 PCIe slots and make sure everything was turned on, and that did the trick. It is up and running in the #2 slot. So not totally horrible for my first try at it. I'm planning on the Sabrent Gen 4x4.0 for the #1 slot in a few paychecks, and that comes with the Acronis True Image to make it into my new boot drive.