Ya'll Won't Believe It

wevsspot

Hey wevs, bowtie, long time no see. I would say save up for the 8700K, if you can. I recently went from a 3770K to an 8600K and I definitely regret not springing for just a little more money for double the threads.

I stopped using Gigabyte after a few DOAs, been using Asus exclusively since, no issues (besides that the Aura software sucks)

I refuse to use another Gigabyte product after the fiasco with my last motherboard I bought of theirs. The PCB was warped, the vrms ran super hot even at idle(50-60*C) and the cpu would down clock itself to like 3.1ghz(this was during the period where a certain revision of their boards would catch on fire). I sent the board back to them twice and they just kept sending my defective board back saying there was nothing wrong with it................swapped in the Asus Sabertooth and not a single problem since.

Edited by slick2500

Gigabyte lies about their VRM design on a few  Z270-370-390 motherboards. Check to make sure that one isn't a fake 8 Phase (4+4) instead of a true 8 Phase VRM Design. It can make a difference for overclocking.

Yes, it's a "fake" 8 Phase, but they are using ISL99227B for the high side and low side mosfets.  Those are supposedly high quality parts, but I guess performance and time will tell.  I'm not ever going to shoot for 5.0+Ghz overclocks, so hopefully duty cycle at 4.6Ghz to 4.8Ghz will be just fine.  And, to be fair Gigabyte wasn't the only MB manufacturer to use doublers in the power delivery designs on the Z370.  But they were probably the most egregious in their #Phase claims in their promotional materials.

I did get the build completed over the weekend, and everything is working just fine.  4.6Ghz was a walk in the park on the 8600K at 1.15vcore and even able to use adaptive voltage.  Seriously, it was change a few settings, set XMP profile for the memory and run the toaster stable stress tests.  I'll tell you one thing that is immediately noticeable.......

Running the OS off that HP EX920 nvme pcie M2 SSD this thing boots to the Windows login screen in just a few seconds.  I ran some benchmark tests on the drive with just the OS and drivers installed and it was performing almost exactly to their claimed performance numbers in seq and random read / writes.  Really impressive little drive considering the sale price I purchased it at.

The other thing I found during my tear down and rebuild.................  I've been strict about exchanging my water cooling liquid twice per year and using silver kill coils in the process.  I noticed some build up on the inlet-outlet barbs on my water block, so figured I needed to pull the block apart and inspect it.  Internally it was quite the mess.  I can't even imagine what the inside of my radiator looks like.  I'm probably going to have to replace that sometime in 2019.

Does ground up count if you keep the PSU? I got my Seasonic Plat RMA and never opened it until my Threadripper build. Technically its "new" but from a previous build.

Well, I think that's a technicality, but I hope so since I reused my Corsair HX1000 power supply.  I've had that thing in four builds and it just keeps trucking along.  I think it's almost 8-9 years old now.  If memory servers me I bought it back in 2010.

I don't see any reason to reason to retire the old lady and won't until she starts acting up.  All of the rails are as strong and stable as the day I bought it.  You know what they say about a good thing.......................

Hey wevs, bowtie, long time no see. I would say save up for the 8700K, if you can. I recently went from a 3770K to an 8600K and I definitely regret not springing for just a little more money for double the threads.

I stopped using Gigabyte after a few DOAs, been using Asus exclusively since, no issues (besides that the Aura software sucks)

I would have loved to up the ante and grab a 8700K but it just wasn't in the cards.  I bought a gently used four month old 8600K from a local guy for $230 and of course didn't have to pay sales tax or shipping.  That worked out for me.  Plus, now I have an upgrade path if I ever want to drop the coin for a 8700K.

I must be the only guy that has had fantastic luck with Gigabyte motherboards.  I'm going to re-purpose my GA-Z77X-UD5H for the HTPC machine and drop a 3570K in there with it.  I've done several builds using GB motherboards (including the 3 in my personal stable) and have never had a single issue with any of them.  The GB mini-atx board currently in my HTPC is even older than the Z77 board that came out of my gaming rig.  That's not a high stress rig of course, but paired with an Intel E6600 it has been flawless.  Even runs Windows 10 nary a hiccup.

I must be the only guy that has had fantastic luck with Gigabyte motherboards.  I'm going to re-purpose my GA-Z77X-UD5H for the HTPC machine and drop a 3570K in there with it.  I've done several builds using GB motherboards (including the 3 in my personal stable) and have never had a single issue with any of them.  The GB mini-atx board currently in my HTPC is even older than the Z77 board that came out of my gaming rig.  That's not a high stress rig of course, but paired with an Intel E6600 it has been flawless.  Even runs Windows 10 nary a hiccup.

From my experience 3 dead out of 7 is close to 50%, guess you got one of the good ones