Sata Drive

Cyberbeer

Looking for an 80GB or so SATA drive. What brand do you guys think. I prefer Seagate...but I am open to suggestions. Dont want to spend over 100 bux! Found a Seagate SATA 7200RPM 80GB for $88.

I've had some problems with the seagate sata drives. i believe it's heat related, because they're not dying since the addition of a large front bezel fan.

WD is too crap expensive for what they are

I like the maxtor drives becasue of good reliability, price and performance.

Edited by bigred

try to find one on newegg's one day sale's... My 120 maxtor cost $107 WITH an extended year warentee... I think that's what most 120 SATA's go for anyway (with out the warentee)... just get one of those.. the extra space REALY makes a diffrence...

Edited by Duff Man

yea... I just got a 120 maxtor... I was hesatant about getting maxtor till bigred (at least I think it was him (if so I hope he takes this time to clarify for me... :P) ) pointed out that they are now basicly rebranded quantums ... :) hope that helps... oh! go for the 120... I know it's a little more (I think they are around $107 on newegg... get the extended warentee, it's like $5.50 or sumat...) but I got mine 2-3 weeks ago and I'm down to 45 gigs free!!! the extra 40 more gigs is a godsend!

Edited by Duff Man

when it comes to serial ata you have to be really careful. remember to buy the adapters for the power supply if neccessary and also remember that 9/10ths of the drives are basically standard ata drives that have been converted. right now seagate is one of the only companies selling the native serial ata drives. if you're willing to fork up the extra cash get the segate 7200.7 with native command queing, that's the best performance you can get. i couldn't afford it though and ended up getting two 80gb seagate barracuda's.

I like my Seagate drives. I have three of them in my main rig which consist of two S-ATA 80's in RAID and a seperate Seagate 80GB 2MB cache ATA-100. Not one single error, not one single failure. My past experiences with Maxtor are not pleasant. My first AMD rig had a 20GB 7200 RPM model that died in 8 months, before that was a 5GB drive that was defective when purchased, and a repair job for a comp that had a 30GB model that started to show signs of drive failure when the SMART started detecting issues. Seagates are indeed somewhat slower than Maxtors, but the features of the Seagate are what impressed me most such as G-Shock protection, and the 3D Defense System for data protection.

As for Maxtor/Quantum branding, the companies merged a few years ago and Maxtor started using Quantum's drive technology in their products. Quantum now only exists for DAT and commercial backup needs. I can't complain about my pre-merger drive though, a 20GB FireBall+ AS. Still running rock solid after three years of rigerous use.