SSD almost full but can't find why

Utmost

The worry about page file writes really applied to SSDs when the technology was new and the price per GB was outrageous.  Time has proven that any modern well respected SSD can handle any number of page file writes well beyond the term you're likely going to keep it for.

Keep the page file on the SSD and set a static page file size.  4Gb is more than enough. 

I thought the reason why it was bad to have it on the SSD is because everytime you turn the computer on a new pagefile is written, which in turns lower the ssd life. With TLC nands and 150TB of writes, pagefiles can be a real issue for newer ssds.

I must turn my computer on and off 2 / 3 times a day. I don't trust my house wiring.

I thought the reason why it was bad to have it on the SSD is because everytime you turn the computer on a new pagefile is written, which in turns lower the ssd life. With TLC nands and 150TB of writes, pagefiles can be a real issue for newer ssds.

I must turn my computer on and off 2 / 3 times a day. I don't trust my house wiring.

And there would be the reason. Not to mention Windows changing what it wants in pagefile on a whim and moving things on and off as it sees fit.

SSDs are great for pagefiles, but page files are not so great on SSDs.  While tests have shown that modern SSDs are likely more robust that what they are being rated as, never the less EVERY write done to nand is a step towards the eventual death of the cell being written no matter how small.

The way Windows handles pagefiles leads to a far bit of excessive writing to the drive and considering how infrequent someone with 16GB of ram is going to need pagefile (pretty damn well never in most usage cases) it seems silly to add any extra wear to an already small SSD that's running out of space for no performance gain.

It's each user's call as to what they want to do and chances are you'll be fine either way, I just like most anything to better the odds on a device that holds my data without hurting the performance of the system.

And a mechanical drive's motor could spontaneously fail :rolleyes:, I personally hibernate my laptop all the time and my page files are stock (I guess 8GB since both my desktop and laptop have 8GB of RAM) and I'm not sweating it.

unless you are using windows XP you should not be screwing with page filing

and if you are using windows XP, you should stop using windows XP

there is no reason not to have 8GB RAM in a desktop used for work

the average person would not even notice the lower life span of the SSD writes from powering the computer on and off

you would have to do it how many hundreds of thousands of times, most people only do that once or twice a day anyway

the SSD will probably die after 5 years from something else

edit:

anyway, stop wasting your time and reformat the computer

and don't screw with anything this time

Edited by potatochobit

Windows doesn't rewrite the page file on boot...it just preallocates the space.

This is a non-issue.

isn't that kinda the same thing? It's not technically writing to the space but it tells the drive that part is full so it goes to the next cell. It still is unnecessary wear.

That's not how it works. Preallocation only logically reserves the space on the filesystem.

If you don't believe me just create a huge page file and watch writes before/after a reboot.

SSDs don't allocate space contiguously. The flash translation layer takes care of balancing logical writes across the physical device. It doesn't do this unless you actually write though.

That's not how it works. Preallocation only logically reserves the space on the filesystem.

If you don't believe me just create a huge page file and watch writes before/after a reboot.

SSDs don't allocate space contiguously. The flash translation layer takes care of balancing logical writes across the physical device. It doesn't do this unless you actually write though.

I believe you, this is what you do for a living. I miss understood it, my bad.