Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

Did the upgrade reservation yesterday for Windows 10. Had to do a workaround to get it to show up, since it didn't feel like it before. :lol:

I know Media Center is being pulled away from W10, with DVDs requiring a separate piece of software (maybe Xbox Video or something), but dunno about Media Player itself. If not, well, there's Media Player Classic, VLC, and Winamp. Media Center hasn't been a featured component since W7 and I don't miss it. WMP and the others work perfectly fine.

How did you guys get the reservation notice? I have a laptop with Windows 7 SP 1 and latest patches  and my desktop with Windows 8.1 patched as well (everything).

I have not seen anything as other people have.. Maybe I am being impatient :P

Windows 8.1 Do I need to signon as hotmail account? I just created a local account

So @bp9801 : what workaround did you do for it to show? Thank you :)

I used my Gmail account, no issues. Not linked in Win 8.1, either.

Originally posted it here.

If your tray doesn't have the icon, do the following:

Open Notepad and enter the below text.

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "1" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

Save it as ReserveWin10.cmd, change file type to All files, and then exit. Then run Command Prompt as admin with whatever path you saved that file as. For me that was C:/Users/Troy/Documents/ReserveWin10.cmd. Let it run and then poof, the Windows icon shows up. Click that icon, enter your email, and presto chango, your copy of Windows 10 is reserved.

You're welcome. Yeah, it isn't the easiest method, but it works. I did it on my desktop, haven't pulled out the laptop yet, and before long I'll check my parents' PCs to see how about them.

It didn't work for me on my desktop (laptop came up all its own). I'm gonna do all my windows updates and then see if it comes up on its own

Yeah, you need to have Windows fully updated. Won't work otherwise. :lol:

If it aint broke dont fix it is my view, win 7 pro has been good to me, I have trasfered the same install from the original drive to a hybrid several years ago then to a SSD not long ago... Never had a windows OS run this long without problems or haveing to do a clean install again..

Win7 is definitely one of the greatest if not the greatest windows they've made (without any modifications necessary).

I second that notion. Especially Win 7 64 Bit which is way better than the 32 Bit version.

I will signup for Win 10 but it will take a lot to get me to install it.

Has anyone started seeing the Windows 10 free upgrade notification in your status tray yet?  I've got it on all of my Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs now.   :)

Reserved my "upgrades" since I understand that the downloaded .ISO can do either upgrade or a full install.  Ugh..........  I hate the thought of installing a new OS on either my gaming machine or my HTPC.

Speaking of HTPC - I read that Windows 10 will not have a Media player, but that Microsoft will offer a DVD player application.

While it's not the best media player, I've grown fond of WMP in Windows 7 for playing back music and .avi files.

wevsspot

I would like to try Windows 10 but only if I can do a clean install, I don't want an existing Windows 7 installation "updated". Is a clean install going to be possible?

Has anyone started seeing the Windows 10 free upgrade notification in your status tray yet?  I've got it on all of my Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs now.   :)

Reserved my "upgrades" since I understand that the downloaded .ISO can do either upgrade or a full install.  Ugh..........  I hate the thought of installing a new OS on either my gaming machine or my HTPC.

Speaking of HTPC - I read that Windows 10 will not have a Media player, but that Microsoft will offer a DVD player application.

While it's not the best media player, I've grown fond of WMP in Windows 7 for playing back music and .avi files.

wevsspot

I would like to try Windows 10 but only if I can do a clean install, I don't want an existing Windows 7 installation "updated". Is a clean install going to be possible?

Why yes, yes it is.

Could take a bit. Leave it connected to the Internet for a while, maybe a reboot.

If not, well, that workaround I posted will work on Windows 7.