Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

I ran the preview and joined the insiders club since the start 12 months ago and still decided to roll with the 90-day Evaluation to confirm 100% stable before committing to upgrade.

The preview worked great on most of my workstations,.. I only had some issues with three rigs,.. loading them all today with W10 64-Bit Enterprise,.. going to see if I do the upgrade in 90-days.

Edited by Braegnok

Just a word to anybody that decides to use the tool and download the ISO; don't select 32 & 64 bit (both) option unless you have a big disc to put it onto. I selected Pro both and the ISO is 5.55 Gb so I can't burn it to a DVD.

So why not just install it to a usb flash drive and go from there ?

Couple of questions:

1) So if I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I am assuming I am giving up my windows 7 Key. Correct?

2) Bought a new SSD for the gaming machine. Can I install windows 10 on that (using the download tool method) with my Windows 8.1 key? Or do I have to upgrade my current windows 8 to 10 than reinstall?

Thank you :) 

Couple of questions:

1) So if I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I am assuming I am giving up my windows 7 Key. Correct?

2) Bought a new SSD for the gaming machine. Can I install windows 10 on that (using the download tool method) with my Windows 8.1 key? Or do I have to upgrade my current windows 8 to 10 than reinstall?

Thank you :)

1) In essence. It basically gets converted into a Windows 10 key, but first requires you to do the upgrade in order to get the for a fresh install.

2) Install Windows 8.1 first, get it updated, and then do the Windows 10 upgrade. Keys are tied to the hardware for now, and until Microsoft provides a key converter for Windows 7/8 to let us turn that into a Windows 10 key on our own, an upgrade has to be done first.

So I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and here is a list of things that broke:

1.  GOG, missing DLL's.  Had to uninstall and reinstall.  Had to reboot before running GoG.

2.  Battlefield 4, Also a DLL error/invalid license.  Had to repair and run the C install again. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/BF4-Will-not-start-BF4-Invalid-License-Reason-code-Missing-DLL/td-p/2607578

3.  AVG 2015, Had to remove and reinstall

4.  Nvidia drivers needed to be reinstalled.

I have fixed everything and it seems to be fine now.  I like it actually.

Edited by InCrYsIs

Didn't have an issue with GOG for me, nor NVIDIA drivers. Upgraded, checked GeForce Experience, showed the new Windows 10 drivers were installed, and didn't have to do anything. Only thing I had to do was get Chrome set back as the default browser, which just required launching Chrome, agreeing to the box asking if it should be default, and then setting it in the default program list. Easy as pie.

I am liking Windows 10, even if it takes a tiny bit to get use to how things are arranged/changed. I do like the new taskbar and how smooth everything seems to be so far. Booting is pretty damn quick, too. Haven't tried all my games yet, but no issues so far with what I've launched.

Just a word to anybody that decides to use the tool and download the ISO; don't select 32 & 64 bit (both) option unless you have a big disc to put it onto. I selected Pro both and the ISO is 5.55 Gb so I can't burn it to a DVD.

So why not just install it to a usb flash drive and go from there ?

Because all my larger USB flash drives have broken or gone missing. I've just gone ahead and download the 32 & 64 bit separate & burned them.