Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

Huh, well, not sure what to make of it, Waco. Your motherboard should be fine for the upgrade. Could always check on BIOS or firmware updates for the mobo and SSD, respectively, and maybe wipe out the SSD, remove any partitions, and go from there.

@InCrysis, yeah, Microsoft has set up a lot of different methods for that. Best way to avoid them is not automatically click on Express Settings during the upgrade/install and change what all is shared.

I'm going to murder something if my current test works.

I had UEFI and Legacy Booting enabled in my BIOS. I think Win10 Upgrader ignores your current partition layout (mine is MBR) and assumes if UEFI is enabled, it can be used.

I kinda hope I'm wrong and that I'm right at the same time.

I updated both to windows 10. I decided to see what key I was assigned so i used the product.vbs on both.

Both show the same key.. Any idea why?

That's interesting; both of my computers have different Keys.

Check that yours are showing as activated and if they still have the same key I'm lost. Think I'll check the other computers I've worked on.

For anyone running Windows 7 that have decided not to do the upgrade,.. there are two Windows updates you will want to uninstall & hide if you have installed them,.. KB3035583 was released months ago and installs the W10 Reservation app,.. and KB2952664 was released 8-4-15 also installs W10 pre-upgrade package.

I have two computers that for some reason are vary unstable with Windows 10 preview and the 90-day evaluation,.. so after doing a clean install of Windows 7 and removing KB3035583 the reservation app and icon a few weeks ago both rigs are running fine and 100% stable,.. but  yesterday Windows update installed KB2952664 an optional update for pre-upgrading to W10 and instability issues returned,.. so for some reason if your rig is acting up and your not doing the upgrade uninstalling & hiding these two updates will return your OS back to normal. 

Edit :

Windows is adamant about forcing update KB2952664,.. I uninstalled and hide this update at 5:00AM this morning due to instability issues it causes for me,..

it was an "optional update" and now at 7:30AM I noticed the 0range Shield icon on the shutdown button meaning updates will automatically install when you click shutdown,.. so I checked updates and it's KB2952664 again only now it is listed as an "important update",..   :nono:

Edited by Braegnok

Kodi should work just fine. Think there was an issue with one of the preview builds, but I believe it's back to being stable as can be now.

@Braegnok, nice find, but sounds like Microsoft wants it to install. :lol: