Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

Well, I've managed to get my EeePC and my ASUS T100TA updated. The desktop? Not so much.

Still getting this regardless of what I do:

11753658_10102137485438968_5413850231785

Never even goes through the first reboot. 100% installing, "your computer will reboot shortly", bam, back to desktop and that message. Nothing in the logs to go on either...

@Waco are you using the media creation tool method or threw windows update?

My pc failed with Windows update but worked with the media creation tool and the opposite direction on my laptop.

Edited by whitefiretiger

@bp yeah I rebooted a few times. touch vibe is just the way some of the menus and settings appear, like made for a touch input and stuff.

Disappointed I can't move the power option in the start menu or the other ones, would like it o be the last thing on the start menu, that and the All Apps thing is a bit annoying, wish the windows apps and/or store apps had their own section, and office 2016 had its own folder so you don't have to scroll so much. wonder if it would be nice for it to remember the position too. That and being able to minimise the tile part without having to unpin them all, maybe you want to do some stuff that doesn't need them and would be easier without the tiles, I dunno. Smooth scroll for the start menu though :/ Wish there was a way to turn it off without using the ease of access options to disable others too

Does the windows 10 you buy have that limited to the same machine crap? Or can you change your mobo and it will still install and activate?

Edited by DanTheGamer11

My pc failed with Windows update but worked with the media creation tool and the opposite direction on my laptop.

I've tried both. They do the same thing. :(

I've tried both. They do the same thing. :(
Did you clear the X:/Windows/Softwaredistribution folder and the C:/windows.~BT folder then reboot and try again.

I've upgraded 8 computers now and had 2 that wouldn't go at all until those were empty (well as empty as windows would allow)

Yup. I've tried all the tricks, including unplugging everything except my boot drive, mouse, and keyboard.

The system image upgrades fine in VMWare though...so I'm at a loss.

Yup. I've tried all the tricks, including unplugging everything except my boot drive, mouse, and keyboard.

The system image upgrades fine in VMWare though...so I'm at a loss.

Missing any updates?

Nope. I even installed the "optional" ones I hid way back when. :lol:

I don't have weird enough hardware for this to fail. The VM upgrading flawlessly makes me think it is hardware in some way though...

I had the issue and googling around, found a site where he had to delete the c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download folder and run the manual update command from command prompt 5-6 times and it worked..

I had the same and decided to try it.. and it worked for me on the 6th try and am on WIndows 10..

Now I have a laptop with 7 ultimate and my gaming machine with windows 8.1

I updated both to windows 10. I decided to see what key I was assigned so i used the product.vbs on both.

Both show the same key.. Any idea why?

@Waco, is there an error code with it or no?

@Gremlin, it could just be a generic product code. The free upgrade of Windows 10 registers your hardware with Microsoft's servers, so it basically does away with having to enter a product key. Now, some of the installs do get an actual key you can view and then use that to do a clean install of Windows 10. Other times it's a generic key that doesn't really help out people trying to put it on another machine. Just kind of depends and there isn't much of a rhyme or reason on who gets a generic key and who doesn't.