System Build for a Friend

ericgcollyer

Hey guys, I am building a system for a friend of mine. His budget is $1800 and this is his first system build. Whenever someone is performing their first build, I tend to splurge a bit on a case and on a powersupply, because these are the two items that can be used across multiple builds. I know that the PSU in the build has much more power than is necessary, but it is one of the lower wattage PSUs in that model line for Corsair.

Mainly, this computer will be used for gaming, but will also be used for video editing and streaming/broadcasting. The game played most often is League of Legends, but Battlefield, Diablo III and WoW make the list as well. I will be helping him overclock the system to a modest speed as well. Likely somewhere in the 4-4.5 Ghz range.

It should also be noted that he has all of the other small things needed for a build (keyboard, mouse, montitor etc). Let me know your thoughts!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Y61D

CPU: 4770k

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro

Ram: Generic Corsair 16GB (2x8GB)

Storage: Ocz Vector 256GB SSD(Not correct on PCPartPicker.com)/WD Caviar Green 3TB

Video Card: GTX 760

Case: Corsair 600T

PSU: Corsair AX860i

LG Blu Ray Burner

I'm down with most everything except the memory selection.  DDR3 1600Mhz with a CAS11 seems pretty crappy for what is otherwise a pretty solid build.

CPU = OK

Cooler = OK

Motherboard = OK

Ram = Fail  :)

Storage = I'd be looking at Samsung Evo but to each their own

Video Card = eVGA GTX 760 good choice but can find better pricing

Case = OK

Power supply = Outstanding choice

Bluray Player = I've got a couple LGs and one Asus.  All three are great 

Honestly, I havent shopped around for the best prices yet, so it doesnt suprise me that better prices can be found elsewhere. If you have better memory suggestions, I am more than willing to change it. Suggestions? Just remember that the sticks must fit underneath the Noctua cooler.

g.skill ares ram will fit.

Don't go green on the primary HDD.  Go WD black or at least blue.  

That 760 is really mediocre in such a high end build.  For the same price you can get a 770 or even a r9 280x which would be better.  

for inexpensive ram I'd probibly try Mushkin I have a set runnin in one of my folding rig's and have never had any trouble with it..

I also have several systems runnin Corsair Vengance series a little more spendy but I've never had an issue with it.

G.Skill has some decent ram as well.. I always try and stick to the cas9 1.5v stuff though.

as far as cases, I'm realy liking the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 case I used in my last build, but i've alway view most cases as kind of a personal preferance and you need to consider where your going to put the case (as far as what size case will fit in the space you have).