Any way to make cable internet...better?

I know its probably not possible, but is there any way to make my cable connection more consistent? i have a charter internet connection in Madison, WI and am largely happy with the connection. Unfortunatly, during peak hours the connection becomes all but unusable. My ping will go up to 2000-3000ms, speeds drop from 30-70mbps to 0.1 mbps download, and from 4mbps upload to 0.1 mbps upload. Everytime I reset the modem, the speeds go back to normal, but only for a few minutes or so. When i call tech support, they "reprovision" my router and the speeds go back to normal for a few mins, but then the speed goes right back down. I know it is likely because of the infrastructure of a cable connection, but is there a way to make this less of an issue?

We have the issue here that Mediacom has decided to cap everyone for data. The cap itself is less an issue to me as the lies that have used to justify this move and the down right false information they have spread to play off the ignorance of their customers.

actually Comcast here is good. A lot of the companies are Upgrading their equipment so during times it will drop out and reconnect. I also got a letter saying I;d get faster more consistent speeds if i upgraded my modem to cover XXXXXX specs. they gave the info if i wanted to get a modem on my own.

My speeds have went up even on my old modem...

our charter here can be iffy sometimes too, but we called them for service repairs so many times that we were able to basically not pay for our cable for a couple months,....they made numerous changes and repairs to our node and area branch and eventually got it straightened out "for the most part",...but since charter is a secondary provider they do bog down some as usage goes up throughout the day,,, the more people that log on, the slower everyone's service becomes...

...as for my house, i made sure i had the state of the art docsis 3 motorola surfboard, and a compatible cisco router, all properly connected, with cat6 cables and rj45's i made myself, ....charter service techs and repairmen couldn't say it was my fault, and had to go look outside of my domain for their issues...

• 2 weeks later...

Make them come out to your place and run a system check from outside your residence.  If they find a problem on "their" end of the connection insist that they repair it.  If everything checks on the outside, you'll need to consider the wiring, connections and hardware inside your residence.

If all of that checks out then you have to accept that their infrastructure isn't sufficient to carry the load traffic during peak hours and at that point you might have to bite the bullet and change providers if that is an option.

I know that when I had Embarq DSL, the speeds were really spotty in the beginning before becoming unbearably slow.  Prior to switching providers, though, I tried plugging the modem into a different (albeit less convenient) port and the speeds were better than before and consistent.  So, it turned out to be an issue within the residence.  Something to consider since it's easy to check yourself.

[rant]

The only other ISP offered in my area is Comcast, which we had before Embarq.  Eventually switched back to Comcast cable.  Bought my own modem based on their supported modems list on their website, because we had issues with two of their supplied modems in the past.  Couldn't get it working.  Spoke with their tech support, who unsuccessfully went through the check list twice, and scheduled for a person to come and visit.  A technician came, performed the same tests, refused to check anything else even with my insistence, gave up, and installed their own modem, which worked and still works after a few power cycles now and then.  Comcast cable's speed is adequate for my use, but I'm not a big fan of their customer support.

[/rant]

Edited by Kiro