What gun to get?

Onion

Some gun shops still sell new sub $100. Saturday Night Specials. Revolvers and Semi autos.

Pics/Link or I cannot believe this!

I haven't seen any sub $100 guns beside a used starter pistol. I am saying this after going to 5 gun shops in oklahoma in the last few months.

Same, I saw a use SA 22LR revolver for $169 (I'm still toying with getting it to use up my second pistol permit...then I can satisfy my revolver curiosity....if I don't get a 9mm Semi)

A lot of good and not so good advice here. If you are in the shooter community then you know that the best semi-auto hand gun is the H&K .45 Tactical. The price is around $1100 used and new. And, that is before add on's. The next best if the FN FNP .45 Tactical - cost, again around $1100. After these two, there are lots of contenders. For the $$$, the Glock 17 9mm, cost around $480, new or used, is probably your best bet. The advantages of the Glock are that if you mistreat it it still works, you can not break it, it never misfires regardless of the ammo. If you forget to clean it it still works. Bury it in mud, drop it, soak it in water, pour sand in it and it still works. If you get bad ammo and a bullet fails to leave the barrel you can fire another round to remove it. Yes, it will put a bulge in the barrel but the Glock will still continue to fire. Of all the semi-autos out there, in this price range, it is probably the easiest to disassemble and clean. And, parts are easy to come by. You should let us all know what you chose in a later post.

H&K and FN are both premium weapons with a rabid following. You either love or hate them as well as Sigs. Glocks are overrated IMHO and if you fire a round behind a stuck round you get a boom in the wrong direction any way you look at it. The round that stuck in my kids ,45 rquired a hammer and punch to remove since it was wedged in tight. 

When I fire my kids glocks I am no more accurate than with my M&P's or SW40 so it really comes down to preference and feel. At self defense ranges all that matters is that it goes boom every time and is controllable. 

Yeah I didn't like the feel of my friend's Glock 22 (.40), it just felt really fat, it threw casings at me (or anyone behind me) and I didn't like the trigger but I may still try out the 17 or whatever other 9mms they have just because people love them so much and maybe it wasn't a good enough trial to judge off of. Other than that, the S&W M&P, Beretta 92FS or the Springfield XDM are high on my list to check out.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be dissing the Saturday Night Specials too much.  Some are really poor, but others have a good rep.  My daily carry is a Raven .25 semi auto that I paid $70 for in like new condition,  I've never had a Raven fail to go bang when I pulled the trigger.

P1020887emaillg.jpg

Edited by Phil

I have a glock 19 9mm and a Sig Sauer P238 .380 that I use for my carry guns.    The glocks are thick guns but they are a work horse and keep shooting.  The sig is a very thin gun, single stack 6 rounds +1 in chamber.   The sig is a little more temperamental,  likes to be greased and oiled after every range shooting (200-300 rounds) but I'm anal anyways and clean both guns after firing them at the range.

The sig is small enough that my pinky finger does not fit on the grip, it will curl the clip.

4b6d102b.jpg

Edited by olokul

Beretta 92FS or the Springfield XDM are high on my list to check out.

I'm not a fan of the M9/92FS. It's big and bulky. But they are reliable, durable and accurate. And if you run out of ammo you can use it as a club lol. I own an XDm 3.8" 9mm. No complaints with it. I like it enough for a tupperware gun. Feels a lot nicer in hand than any glock I've handled.

Edited by Coors

Beretta 92FS or the Springfield XDM are high on my list to check out.

I'm not a fan of the M9/92FS. It's big and bulky. But they are reliable, durable and accurate. And if you run out of ammo you can use it as a club lol. I own an XDm 3.8" 9mm. No complaints with it. I like it enough for a tupperware gun. Feels a lot nicer in hand than any flock I've handled.

Yeah I think you were first one to recommend I check out the XDM. I forget your opinion on glocks but truthfully I need to check out all the guns myself since different people like different feels. I don't have particularly large hands.

Yeah I think you were first one to recommend I check out the XDM. I forget your opinion on glocks but truthfully I need to check out all the guns myself since different people like different feels. I don't have particularly large hands.

Edited by Coors