What gun to get?

Onion

Also, would a revolver be unreasonable as a self defense weapon? They're a lot of fun to shoot, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. 

If it weren't for concealment issues, a revolver would be my first choice.  It is the most intuitive type for me, and they are close to 100% reliable.  When I'm not worried about concealment I carry one of my Ruger SA's, with the transfer bar safety I feel safe carrying with one under the hammer.  Needing to pull back the hammer to fire also adds to my comfort as I'm not worried about an accidental discharge.  And IMO SA revolvers are the coolest handguns on the planet.  :)

What are the concealment issues with a revolver? I do realize that they're a bit wide, but is it really that bad? Or is it because of the odd shape?

SInce you will be in an apartment you would want to stay with 9mm and use only self defense ammo in it. A 40 cal while effective as is the 9mm but with the 40cal you stand a greater chance of having a round go through into the next unit.

It all comes down to what you will eventually do with it. Concealed or just left at home for protection there. If carrying you have a wealth of options. I traded my wifes revolver in for a Beretta P9 Nano that she shoots much more accurately. I prefer a full frame just due to the size of my hands.

Very good point, actually. Looks like I'm limited to a 9mm or a weaker revolver. 

You can find some great used guns if you know what to look for. Most places will not sell used crap, at least that I have ever dealt with.

If you happen to know someone personally that knows a lot about firearms take them with you.

For a first gun I would suggest a 9mm, there is a lot to choose from, but handle them and see what feels right when you go to aim. Some places will let test fire, if possible see if you can go to a range and try out some different guns.

I am going to just say this because I think somebody should, for godsakes whatever you do don't buy a gun off the street just to save a buck. I figure you are smarter than that, but there is a lot of idiots out there that hang around gun shops just looking for a melon to walk in.

I have said my peace lol.

Yeah, I'm only going to buy from a gun shop. I don't want trouble! 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The concealment issues with revolvers are both size and shape.  There are some really small pocket revolvers made ny NAA that are popular, but I find them too small.  There are some smaller revolvers that fit the bill just fine, but are DA, which is also fine, just not for me.

Springfield XD, Glock, Sig for a Semi or Taurus for a revolver.  Obviously Sig 9mm is about a grand so that is a bit much.  You can get a Glock 9mm for 400.

Ultimately you have to put them in yor hands and fire them. 

Edited by InCrYsIs

I'd look at a M&P 9mm or a Glock 19.  You should be able to find either for under $500.  I don't like revolvers at all, I didn't know it until I shot a few though.

Here in CA we have silly gun laws that limit all mag sizes to 10 rounds, so I went with a .45 cal. It's a full 5" 1911 and it's just about impossible to conceal carry, and I'm a pretty good sized guy.  A small 9mm like the glock19 or even the XD are small enough to stash or ccarry but are still big enough to fight with.

I'd look at a M&P 9mm or a Glock 19.  You should be able to find either for under $500.  I don't like revolvers at all, I didn't know it until I shot a few though.

Here in CA we have silly gun laws that limit all mag sizes to 10 rounds, so I went with a .45 cal. It's a full 5" 1911 and it's just about impossible to conceal carry, and I'm a pretty good sized guy.  A small 9mm like the glock19 or even the XD are small enough to stash or ccarry but are still big enough to fight with.

California....you poor soul.  You will only be allowed to fire single shot muskets soon.

The concealment issues with revolvers are both size and shape.  There are some really small pocket revolvers made ny NAA that are popular, but I find them too small.  There are some smaller revolvers that fit the bill just fine, but are DA, which is also fine, just not for me.

Thanks for the info, Phil. 

Springfield XD, Glock, Sig for a Semi or Taurus for a revolver.  Obviously Sig 9mm is about a grand so that is a bit much.  You can get a Glock 9mm for 400.

Ultimately you have to put them in yor hands and fire them. 

Mainly what I was looking for was a couple popular guns so I know what to ask to try out when I go to the gun shop. I like the Glocks a lot, I've rented them at the range a couple times and shot about 250 rounds. They're easy to shoot and really consistent. 

Oh man, California, that sucks. Sorry to hear. :lol: 

I know I will catch crap for this. Have you thought about the Hi-Point .45ACP or 9MM? they are around $200.

I used the .45 and was kinda accurate to about 20 yards. The only problem was the slide was a little tight.

And they have almost a no questions asked lifetime replacement warranty.

Edited by OwinC

I know I will catch crap for this. Have you thought about the Hi-Point .45ACP or 9MM? they are around $200.

I used the .45 and was kinda accurate to about 20 yards. The only problem was the slide was a little tight.

+1 The High Point 9mm is a great little gun. Accurate and reliable

California....you poor soul.  You will only be allowed to fire single shot muskets soon.

Oh man, California, that sucks. Sorry to hear. 

I know, I know...it's horrible.  I keep thinking of making the move to AZ, but it really hard to leave the weather and location.

Wow, that is the cheapest pistol I think I've seen.  

I would go for something in 9mm and use frangible ammo (easier to find than any other cal) if you are concerned with shots going into a different unit. Find a local range and fnd out where you can take a defensive handgun class.