Nvidia Optimus? Do I need to disable this intel HD 4000 crap?

I have not owned a nvidia product in a long time

I bought a used laptop and it was supposed to have a GT 640M but I noticed the computer keeps using an intel HD 4000....

after resisting the urge to throw this computer out the window I began looking for a switchable graphics option but I cannot find one

so then I noticed it has this new optimus sticker?

so, do I need to do anything? I want to run the nvidia GPU at max all the time

I set the power options to high performance

in nvidia control panel I set 3D settings - global settings - Higher performance nvidia processor

is that all I have to do?

It will switch automatically while gaming and running applications that need powerful GPU.

If youw ant to run it all the time then go to nvidia control panel and enable 'high performance graphics' option for everything.

It will switch automatically while gaming and running applications that need powerful GPU.

If youw ant to run it all the time then go to nvidia control panel and enable 'high performance graphics' option for everything.

+1

I believe there is an option to enable it to use one or the other for each individual application, AMD has a very nice little popup for any new application that you run so that you may select which graphics you'd like  it to use. (iGPU or dedicated). The HD4000 is awesome for everything but gaming, so I use it to save power for anything non-gaming

you cant use the gt640 all the time with optimus technology (idle state/facebook/internet browsing), it is and stays on the 4000hd until the gpu needs the 3d clocks (pc gaming), then it will be switched to that gpu.