Got my work papers - where should I apply?

Onion

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apply everywhere, it took me a year and a half to get my first job. It's a very tough job market right now.

That's what I've noticed. There are literally no openings anywhere. I just submitted my application to Autozone, hopefully they take me, its right down the street from my house. 

You know the key to getting a job? Ask for the job no-one wants. That way you have a chance to earn a rep as a hard worker(assuming you are one) and you can build a resume that will make you more attractive to the places you would rather work. As a plus you might find something you really enjoy but would never before have considered.

Eg. I started out cleaning stalls as a teenager, graduated to training problem horses, then got hired to help train cutting horses. Was promoted to train and run rodeo stock. Lost that job due to the economy but had a good resume as all my employers loved me and wrote recommendations, plus on the side i kept a number of other jobs; the whole time i kept a clientele of yard and landscaping customers, worked part time for a roofer, work repairing and installing boat lifts and docks, did computer maintenance, and worked as a church sound tech. So by the time i went looking for a job i was extremely attractive to prospective employers and went jobless for all of three weeks(two of which i spent vacationing =p)

So now i have a job that depending on business has given me up to 90 hours a week during peak season and up to $200(well twice but that still counts) an hour. And I'm no older than you.

Build a good rep and it will stand you in good stead, I'm not saying its a guarantee but it sure helps. There is no way as good or as valid in my opinion than starting at the bottom.

why not apply at the cia or nsa,...i hear they have an amazing advancement programs, and it seems the sky's the limit if you know cell phones, computers, software and hardware, and you're willing to maintain the status quo and hold your mud...

And they like immigrants too. Especially if your are Muslim.

lol, good one cj

sho yo right homie ! (knuckle bump)

lol. (returns knuckle bump)

o man, try to point yourself toward what you want to do, and what makes you happiest to the best of your ability...

i'm serious about this,...after many decades in the working world, i'm still not where i would like to be,...for example, at this point in my life, i absolutely luv and enjoy building and trouble shooting, and repairing and working with puters and even some networking too,..i get mellow and chill out, i tend to feel accomplished when i get to the bottom of a problem and get it straightened out, and my scheme o things feels in order when everything is working like it's supposed to....BUT,... i haven't been able to figure out how to turn this joy into a good paying situation that maintains the redeeming value i'm so fond of...i wish i had the techniques and know how to do this a long time ago but i didn't, so oh well...

but if i could go back and do it all over again, with knowledge and understanding i have today, i would chase the dream ! ,.....sounds crazy i know, and some guys might think i'm steering you in the wrong direction, but i say "follow your dreams, and go for what you want",....tomorrow comes VERY fast and will be on you in a minute, so take yourself a little starter job or whatever, to get going, but then keep your eyes peeled for what YOU want to do...you won't regret it !

rant completed

Apply at a hotel, overnight shift. I make $9/hr at mine and don't do jack :lol:

and what about the sleep??

During the shift and after. :lol:

@Onion, like the others have said, apply pretty much anywhere and everywhere. Something that halfway interests you or seems kind of fun, apply there. Pretty much everyone starts off at minimum wage, so don't immediately dismiss it if you're making 7.50/hr or whatever the minimum is at now.

Retail sales is a possibility and you can make a good living on it, just be prepared for extremely long hours during the holidays. If it's a base plus commission job, great, if it's pure commission, well just be ready for some paychecks that are smaller than others.

Just get a job...then worry about being picky.

I'm taking in about half of what I could get anywhere else just because the job market is that bad right now.

It's said over here in the UK that you more chance of getting a job if you've already got a job!

So take anything you can to start with and keep looking for something you really want to do!

That's pretty much what I did, but so far, its looking like Autozone's gonna be where I'm going to work, or possibly Staples. 

@D6BMG, I don't see what I did there. :lol: 

That's pretty much what I did, but so far, its looking like Autozone's gonna be where I'm going to work, or possibly Staples. 

@D6BMG, I don't see what I did there. :lol:

Give dem discounts lol j/k