Installed my HD 7950 last night, and ran into a insane SSD problem

Black64

So my PC was working fine last night, and I turned it off, pulled out my 6950 and installed my 7950. Turned it back on it said missing hardware to boot, took out the 7950 and out back the 6950 and it said no OS installed. weird. So then I turn it back off and on and then it said please insert a bootable media. At this point I thought maybe my SSD failed or my Mobo was starting to fail. But troubeshooting proved that both were fine.

Problem

SSD wouldn't boot after new GPU installed

Efforts to fix

1.checked cables

2. checked bios and was able to see all HDD and SSD

3. checked the HDD setting was to IDE

4.unplugged everything except for the bootable SSD

5.ran windows 7 repair 5 times (could not see the OS on the SSD)

6. went to format the SSD but all files were there and so was the windows install

7. plugged the SSD into another PC and it was fine

8. Lot of Google research

9. tried to fix MBR

10. tried to scan for viruses.

Solution

Resintalled Windows and that fixed it. Everything works fine now. Total time 3.5 hours

I didn't lose any info as all of my stuff is stored on my other HDDs, my SSD main boot is designed to be wiped/lose everything at anytime for times like this. But I am at a loss for what happened?

Any ideas?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black, I've experienced numerous times when using the latest and greatest GPUs that an update to the motherboard BIOS is due (and hopefully they are available at the time).  If I have an issue installing a new generation GPU the first thing I do is check to make sure I'm running the latest motherboard BIOS.

Then of course during the installation process, make sure that the power supply is disconnected from the outlet and that all residual energy is discharged by holding down the power button for a couple seconds.

On the front end, I always ensure that the power supply is capable of handling the power requirements of the new card being installed.  And I ALWAYS delete the video card drivers from the previous installation before I install a new card.  I run the regular uninstaller and then also use Driver Fusion in an attempt to zap anything relating to the previous driver installation.

I install the latest video card drivers after I've installed the new card.  I do this even if I'm upgrading a card from the same chipset maker (i.e. AMD, nVidia - 6950 to 7950 etc.)

I used to have the same kind of problems. Several years ago, while troubleshooting a GPU problem, I spoke with a MS tech about the problem. While trying to fix the problem he asked if I had deinstalled the old GPU before installing the new one. Of course, my answer was 'no'. Since then I always deinstall the GPU hardware before shutting the computer down. In almost all cases, the new GPU comes right up because the OS has to look for new drivers.

I had a very similar issue.

I installed more ram into my system and it killed my raid ssd setup. I went from 8 to 16gb. I had to reinstall windows as it would not boot fully into the OS. No idea what happened.

I've heard stories about that happening with ram as well. But what's strange is I couldn't even get past the BIOS, it's like it didn't want to see the OS. But it saw all of the HDDs fine. Should I be worried when I put in my second 7950?

You shouldn't have any similar issues when you put the 2nd 7950 in.  Your drivers are apparently working ok now, and your motherboard seems to be dealing with the new GPU, so I wouldn't anticipate any other problems.

I hope so, I don't want to install windows again. :doh:

I was thinking it would have been a virus or could this be a direct result of not uninstalling the drivers of the 6950 first?

Edited by Black64

If it was Windows 7, it may have something to do with that 100MB 'System Reserved' partition getting corrupt? I have no evidence to base that assumption on, only that it holds the boot instructions for the OS. :dunno:

Black, now that we have the full report, if I were to nail it down to one thing my best guess would be the failure to remove the previous driver installation.

Again, I can't stress enough for everyone else.  If you buy the newest generation video card it is always a good idea to check and make sure that you are running the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard.  That is always the first thing I check before I proceed with a swap or upgrade.

It looks like something related to driver conflict issue. Your motherboard is fairly older than the current generation of graphics card. So, it might have caused some temporary compatibility problem?

I'm glad that the OS re-installation have sorted your problem out. And I don't think adding another 7950 could create problem as you are running one already.

Well I just installed my second 7950 and the bios changed the boot order and said overclocking failed. I went and changed the boot order to the correct order and rebooted. everything works fine. Strange.