Thinking of Upgrading

for video editi the more memory you can get the better :) maybe I'm just extreme. I think 16gb starting will be plenty .

I used the 2x8gb ddr3 1600 corsair vengence in the asus ma599x . it's basically the same thing as the fx version .

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is FX body? What do you call a big file?

Ripjaws do look kind of cool.  From my research, the main difference between Ripjaws and Ares seems to be the size of the heat sink.  With the Ripjaws, a simple screw will allow one to remove the heat sink if it is in the way without losing much of anything.  Really no price difference.  Also, both seem to come in different colors, and my research seems to indicate that could just be aesthetic, but I

What is FX body? What do you call a big file?

An FX body is a full frame body.  Most digital cameras have a cropped sensor, or a sensor that is smaller than the 35mm negative size.  About 4 years ago, Nikon and Canon introduced the full frame bodies, known as FX.  DX is the term of all crop size sensors.  Typical size of most jpg photos out of my camera is around 10BM.  Typical sise of RAW photos is 44MB.  I don

Nikon D800 is my latest body.  I have a couple of older pro bodies.  Most of my camera equipment is geared towards shooting sports.  No need or reason to shoot RAW.  Don

I don't know anything about sony vega, only Adobe stuff.  hmm .m2t is Mpg2 so dvds but also can support up to 1080. It's a older format and takes up a lot of space.  It is very easy on the CPU unlike MP4. I think .mov is a H.264 , or it can be. .Mov is just a container that can hold a ton of versions.

for the video card, that isn't much better than your 7300gs. I can't find where I saw it but I think you need more the 32 CUDA for it to be used. Though I thought I saw somewhere on adobe website that said 128 and 1GB minimal. maybe a Gefroce 620, 630, 440, or 430 would be okay. depends on if you are willing to spend more. But you are working in jpgs and you don't work with filters, it probly won't matter.

edit: if you can handle used stuff, ebay has GTX 200s for like $50.

PCIe x16 is the size of the slot

x16, x16, x4, x4 is the speed of the slots. Two slots run at full x16 bandwidth, and two at x4.

As far as the cards themselves go, I'd go for the cheaper GT630. It will have much better performance and refurbished parts are essentially used but cleaned and checked they are working, or open box/RMA'd parts.

hmm. I looked up sony vega newest version 12 and it says it support OpenCl for GPU aceleration so that is good. Since you are only working in 1080 and the CPU will be doing all the final rendering it shouldn't matter much as long as it meets the minimal requirments to be used for aceleration. I would say that Evga 630 will be enough. 

I could be wrong since I tend to use beefy cards for video work, I don't know how a 630 would perform really (did OCC just review one?) . I would say more computer ram is going to be very helpful. the 1GB video will be good to give some buffer.

as for PCIE slots. Euro has it down. You have slot length and connection speed. A 4x PCIE 2.0 slot is more than enough for many things. Therfore a 16x slot you are golden.

Sony Vega Quote

Supported cards for GPU-acceleration

To take full advantage of the GPU-acceleration in Vegas Pro 12, you will need a supported card with at least 512 MB of GPU memory.

NVIDIA

Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later. GeForce GPUs:

• GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 285.62 or later).
  • Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 285.62 or later).

NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and recommends use of the latest boards based on the Fermi architecture.

AMD/ATI

Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required.

PCIe x16 is the size of the slot
x16, x16, x4, x4 is the speed of the slots. Two slots run at full x16 bandwidth, and two at x4.

As far as the cards themselves go, I'd go for the cheaper GT630. It will have much better performance and refurbished parts are essentially used but cleaned and checked they are working, or open box/RMA'd parts.

<script> function moveTo(){return true;}function resizeTo(){return true;}</script>The cheaper of the two cards does not have the negative reviews of the more expensive one, but used parts?  I can

I looked it up, the 630 is the 430 rebaged. same core and everything.. whatever is cheaper and referb stuff is like used it. someone sent it back because it didn't work and it was fixed and now being sold again.

I buy referb stuff all the time, it's hit or miss. and you only get 90day warranty usually.