Samsung Galaxy S3 - water damage

tkrow21

Hi, my friend recently was talking to me and he told me that he dropped his phone in the water. The phone itself works fine, it turns on, but the touchscreen is not responsive. The capacitive buttons work fine (as in, they vibrate, but there's no actual way to tell if their functions would work).

Basically what I'm asking, as I have limited knowledge with phones (especially the Galaxy S3), is what would work in fixing it. Could I buy a screen replacement and pop that in? Or would the problem be more underlying?

Turn it off. Take the battery out. Put it in a container, fill it with rice or the "do not eat" material you get with electronics. Wait 24-48 hours. And pray for the best

Silica gel. :lol:

Rice doesn't work as well as Silica gels in my experience...

I watched a video about water damaged phones on Channel 5. They seemed to think the best way was placing it under a table lamp or vacuum cleaner ASAP

You can watch the video here

Edited by EuroFight

Turn it off. Take the battery out. Put it in a container, fill it with rice or the "do not eat" material you get with electronics. Wait 24-48 hours. And pray for the best

Heard it s few times before reading your post. Although I doubt over the real capability of rice regarding this.

I watched a video about water damaged phones on Channel 5. They seemed to think the best way was placing it under a table lamp or vacuum cleaner ASAP

You can watch the video here

Under table lamp? That is good. But never clean it with vacuum cleaner. Reason? Static electricity. It is the same reason for which PC components should never be cleaned with vacuum cleaner.

I had dropped my S1 in a bucket of water and just took out the battery and all and let it air out. It eventually worked again (had the same inoperative problems that he's having) I heard rice or silica gel speeds up the process so go for that. I was out camping and lucked out that after the long ride home, it had dried out enough.