Andrewr05s mITX build list

Andrewr05

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest issue with going AMD now is that you'll not only be giving up performance now but it's also likely that the fastest chip you'll be able to drop in in a few years will still be slower than the fastest s1155 chips from Intel today. :(
I figured as much.

1155 is essentially "dead" if you want to call it that for upgrades though. Ivy Bridge is the last new architecture that'll be released for it unless something crazy happens. That said...even a Sandy Bridge based CPU is faster than anything AMD has released up to this point. :lol:
Like you say though, the Sandy Bridge chips will last me a damn long time, probably longer than this Q660 has, hopefully...

Intel socket 2011 isn't even close to being in your budget though.
...and I was just reading that 1150 is coming out.

I DID say in my first post that this is all speculative, perhaps i'll wait until the next stuff comes out to get even cheaper used hardware?

:P

Like you say though, the Sandy Bridge chips will last me a damn long time, probably longer than this Q660 has, hopefully...

True. You can always drop in a nice Ivy Bridge quad down the road if you want a massive boost as well. This is especially true if you overclock said IB chip. :lol:

My 2cent. Andrew if ur a gamer and enjoy overclocking and buying on budget then don't sell out to a crappy i3. It's like a dog eating table scraps from the King. Take any AMD black and tweak your speed on a OC. You will also have way more FSB for gaming. Just be sure buy some memory with headroom.. Also if you already have some sata drives you can do a raid 0 to push out some more performance till you decide to sell ur soul on SSD.

My 2cent. Andrew if ur a gamer and enjoy overclocking and buying on budget then don't sell out to a crappy i3. It's like a dog eating table scraps from the King. Take any AMD black and tweak your speed on a OC. You will also have way more FSB for gaming. Just be sure buy some memory with headroom.. Also if you already have some sata drives you can do a raid 0 to push out some more performance till you decide to sell ur soul on SSD.

"Selling out" with the "crappy" i3 will get him higher performance in games even if he DOES overclock a Phenom II and leaves the upgrade path open for a serious CPU like a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge quad.

RAID 0 is a waste with HDDs and I don't think it's advisable for any rig (with the exception of people who legitimately need high sustained throughput), let alone a gaming rig.

And before you scream "Intel fanboy" I guarantee I've had more AMD systems in the past 10 years than you. :lol: