Noctua NH-D14 VS Corsair H60\H80

Hey there guys , i'll be upgrading my pc rig in a while and i'd like some advice on which cooler to use , currently got an Foxxcon H61 MXV mobo , AMD Radeon HD 6770 , i7-2600 3.4 not cloacked! what i will be doing is replace my GPU with a Palit GTX 670 Jetstream and my mobo with an Asus Z77 Sabertooth , but i will be keeping my CPU and overclocking it to 4 GHZ aproxximately , thing is im in a dilemma , cant decide between the Noctua NH-D14 and the Corsair H60\H80 , im a bit of a noise freak so i like my coolers like i like my car , big and silent :P ! My only concern is the extra weight of the Noctua ! im afraid whether it will put a lot of strain in the mobo and whether it will break\bend!

Is your 2600 of the K variety? If not, don't bother upgrading your motherboard.

Also, though I'm not 100% which cooler is better, the weight of the Noctua is definitely not an issue unless you like dropping your computer onto the ground. I assume you don't do that. :lol:

2600 non-K, any will work fine for cooling and silence, but the Noctua fans will be a lot more silent than the stock ones that come with the Corsair H60/H80. Shouldn't be a strain on the motherboard, or the Noctua NH-D14 would be a fail product.

cant decide between the Noctua NH-D14 and the Corsair H60\H80 ,

The Noctua is a great cooler but a bear if you have to do any work in the PC after it is installed. Will also partially limit choices of RAM. The H60 or even the H80 will ahcieve all the cooling you need and leave you space to work. I would however consider the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer. With rebate it is only $5 more than the H60 on Newegg right now and comes in a push/pull configuration. The result is it does deliver better cooling numbers than the H60.

Edited by ComputerEd

You can get a cheap hyper 212+ cooler for like 20 bucks, and a noctua fan for about 20 for an obvious total of 40. If you use the low noise adapter, it turns a near silent cooler into a dead silent cooler and you get a cooler master fan out of the deal for what ever you like. I like splicing the wires with USB cables to make USB desk fans......just a thought :teehee:

I have done this on a couple of builds with a some really good results. Even with the low noise adapter on it, I was able to get a i5 2500K up to 4.5ghz while staying under 80C on a hot day.

Temprature wise: H60 << H80 < D14 < H100.

Choice is clear. If you want silent cooling, D14 is the way to go.

Thank you , i'll go for the D14 , and although i dont have the K version of the 2600 , i was told that i can still Overclock it , is this true?!

Thank you , i'll go for the D14 , and although i dont have the K version of the 2600 , i was told that i can still Overclock it , is this true?!

No multiplier overclocking on it sadly, so you could probably max out with an extra 100mhz or so tops :cry:

No multiplier overclocking on it sadly, so you could probably max out with an extra 100mhz or so tops :cry:

And I've experienced more unstability when tweaking the base clock than the multiplier, so sometimes it's not even worth it imo.

For most things, the 2600 is mighty fine. You'll only see the improvements of the higher clock when using benchmarks or heavy encoding or something like that. Games won't really notice a difference. Not from my experience.

If the 2600 works like the 2400 you should be able to get to 3.9 without upping the voltage.

To be honest i'd rather not tinker with the volatege or overclocking this AT ALL in fear of it just blowing up\frying and so on :P i'll just keep it till it reaches its end of days and then replace it with a i5-3570k or an i7-3770k and do my overclock on those :D

You'd have to try awful hard to blow it up or fry it :) But as others have pointed out, you are very limited on the non-K version because you can't adjust the multiplier. I'm in the camp of many others when it comes to the socket 1155 and base clock adjustment. Probably best to leave it at stock or at minimum be very conservative with the adjustment, maybe 1 - 3Mhz at most.

That may bring you back to the cooler question........... do you really need to spend the money right now on upgraded cooling? That doesn't seem to make much sense unless you plan on keeping the cooling long term for a future upgrade. Maybe drop the D14 thinking and put that money towards more memory or even a 128Gb SSD. I'm seeing 128Gb SSDs on sale for sub-$100 and that would be a great upgrade if you aren't already using one.

If you're currently running 4Gb of memory (I don't know) you might consider upping your memory to 8Gb, that would also be another good upgrade.