Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d3bruts1d just a question hows wifi going for you on ios6?

I've not had any problems on the two iPhone 4S or my 3rd gen iPad. Why?

Shame Jailbreaking is made illegal starting next year.... Seriously I find no sense in not letting the customer do what they want with their phones. :fp:

I agree. The argument against it is usually due to the cellular providers and user/warranty support if something happens to the phone.

It's not bad and the integration with the notification center is a plus. However it is a very simple app and doesn't stand up to TWC Max (my preferred app), Intellicast, or any other number of available weather apps. I wish Apple would post a weather API and allow users to select a weather app to drive the stock app. I think that would improve it quite a bit.

That I can understand thanks for clarifying.

d3bruts1d just a question hows wifi going for you on ios6?

I plan on turning wifi off no matter which phone I choose (no need for wifi with LTE), but what's wrong with the wifi on ios6?

If you need something like an iPhone 5 perhaps instead of a netbook while travelling and you can afford it then that's great, but for the average consumer, they only need a cheaper device, and because Apple devices are so expensive, there is no way Apple can cater for them, hence this is where Android comes in.

Anyway, to conclude, both OSes are good in their own ways, Apple devices provide a great range of functions and a fluid OS that works around the user, however Android devices can work well enough for those who don't want to splash out $700 on a phone.

Maybe that is how it is in Europe but Stateside, a 32GB Galaxy S3 is $250, a 16GB Samsung Galaxy Note II is $300 and a 32GB iP5 is $300 with a two year contract. Non-contract price for the 3 phones is: S3= $650, Note II= $700, iP5= $750.

Or if you want free, you can get a iPhone 4 for free with a two year contract. So both sides offer free, cheap (4S = $50 w/ 2yr) and expensive. So if you compare the recently released iP5 to the upcoming Note II it is the same price!

I've not had any problems on the two iPhone 4S or my 3rd gen iPad. Why?

Well I was forced back onto my iPod after my phone kicked the bucket. Nearly 3 years and 1 at a 20% OC all withthe original battery not bad.

Anyway I am having serious issues like many others apparently and my wifi is failing after a minute or two. It will tell me I have great connection but nothing will connect. One really good thing about the iPod is it used to always have great wifi reception and range. There are some fixes but I don't feel like changing my said.

I did rediscover some things I forgot. Namely jumping to the top of a page by tapping the top of the screen.

meanwhile 160 post later I wonder if he ever made up his mind LOL :)

You are post #157 bro!

I made it clear I was waiting for upcoming phones to be released. Sheeesh, so impatient you'd think I was buying it for you or something. :lol:

My offer on the Galaxy WiFi still stands :whistling:

Honestly, at this point, I'd say it's time to be a 'typical' Girl in a shop who buys all the clothes she wants :lol:

Actually I'm leaning toward the iP5 at the moment. Verizon changed the Samsung Galaxy Note II home button to some butt ugly Verizon button. :yucky: So it is probably going to have tons of Verizon bloatware on it too. Where as there are no Verizon markings on the IP5 and no bloatware either. It appears to just be an all around better phone than the S3, but if I go that route I know I will miss the SD card support and removeable battery support. But if the battery lasts over 3 days on a single charge on the iP5 with youtube use, web use, and nonsensical app use than that is a lot better than my S3 friends get. One of the biggest reasons I didn't want a smart phone (in addition to the overpriced data plan) is the need to charge the battery every night ...especially with my activities that would suck. Looks like all the apple users either use the Map Quest app or simply use Google Maps like on a PC, so there are work arounds to its map problem. Because of my iPod I unfortunately already have most of music library paired to iTunes. Was looking forward to getting away from it, but right now the strengths are out weighing the downfalls.

The biggest problem is I waited too long on the smart phone bandwagon in general. I should have locked in not only when they offered fully unlimited plans but back when data plans were $30, now Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T all charge an insane amount for a data plan. Pretty much going to be a $100+ phone bill no matter who you pick.

My nephew has to charge is IP5 every night.. so does my coworker.. he hates the battery life on his..

They leave wifi and bluetooth on? With those off, I seen it myself (settings has a counter on it), it lasts up to at least 84 hours.

Shame Jailbreaking is made illegal starting next year.... Seriously I find no sense in not letting the customer do what they want with their phones. :fp:

Making it harder for the customer to customize is a different story. They still let you do it, but you gotta figure it out by yourself.

WHAT, source?!

I would like to know how they would even figure out you jailbreaked your phone in the first place. I know plenty of people who jailbreak and then restore to factory settings if they need warranty work done. Sounds like the same threats Microsoft threw out many years ago.

Edited by Fogel

WHAT, source?!

http://www.iclarified.com/25365/library-of-congress-rules-jailbreaking-ipads-and-unlocking-new-iphones-illegal

Seems like the EFF failed to persuade them in renewing the Exemption..

But not a bad news for Android fans I suppose. Rooting doesn't seem to be affected.

I would like to know how they would even figure out you jailbreaked your phone in the first place. I know plenty of people who jailbreak and then restore to factory settings if they need warranty work done. Sounds like the same threats Microsoft threw out many years ago.

I know that Apple can figure out if they want too, but they'd definitely be sued for Privacy etc.. But if it's made illegal, Apple could somehow make a cause for it..

Actually I'm leaning toward the iP5 at the moment. Verizon changed the Samsung Galaxy Note II home button to some butt ugly Verizon button. :yucky: So it is probably going to have tons of Verizon bloatware on it too. Where as there are no Verizon markings on the IP5 and no bloatware either. It appears to just be an all around better phone than the S3, but if I go that route I know I will miss the SD card support and removeable battery support. But if the battery lasts over 3 days on a single charge on the iP5 with youtube use, web use, and nonsensical app use than that is a lot better than my S3 friends get. One of the biggest reasons I didn't want a smart phone (in addition to the overpriced data plan) is the need to charge the battery every night ...especially with my activities that would suck. Looks like all the apple users either use the Map Quest app or simply use Google Maps like on a PC, so there are work arounds to its map problem. Because of my iPod I unfortunately already have most of music library paired to iTunes. Was looking forward to getting away from it, but right now the strengths are out weighing the downfalls.

The biggest problem is I waited too long on the smart phone bandwagon in general. I should have locked in not only when they offered fully unlimited plans but back when data plans were $30, now Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T all charge an insane amount for a data plan. Pretty much going to be a $100+ phone bill no matter who you pick.

You should enter this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/iphone-5-giveaway/

Who knows, you might be really lucky :D

I'll say this to you right off the bat: You'll have to be careful in handling iPhone 5s.. Aluminum back = Easy light scratch and dents. Start thinking off a case while you're at it so you can use both right away (unless you don't mind tiny scratches and be really careful with your phone. Personally I'd go do that instead of getting a case for it though)

Battery really depends on how you use them. If you're like me and only turn data/wifi/bluetooth/etc on when needed, your battery should be able to hold for 2-3 days. If a jailbreak is released (and yes, IF), then you can do some minor tweaks like adding Quick Settings to the notification bar Ala Android, plus other tweaks that can help you safe battery easily.

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention one consequence of Jailbreaking (aside from it being illegal if you're buying your phone next year). You know how Apple remove some new features from older Devices when they release new iOS? Turns out its also for technical purposes. Some of those features can really render your now 'old' device useless. I tried installing Siri in my iPod touch 4 and everything became laggy, unresponsive and just downright Sh-ty. So just make sure you don't install too much tweaks and as your device gets older (in 2-3 years), you may need to remove some or all the tweaks that you like. (But since you're buying a phone, chances are you're gonna change it after 2-3 years, no?)

:cheers: