MSI 580 litening extreme II giving strange temp readings

Crawlerz246

I've had this MSI 580GTX litening II xtreme (and other words that use X too many times) for a year so far. no trouble really. however it's never been exactly as cool as advertised, ideling at 35C and topping out at about 72C. not too long ago I installed a H100 in the top of my case with 4 push-pull fans so the side effect turned out to be that the GPU (directly under those fans) got maybe 3C cooler on the top temp. all was well for a bit. then not too long ago it seems (or maybe that's just in my head) it started showing weirdly high temps at rest (observed in afterburner). it is showing 0 GPU use and over 40C (right now it is cool and breezy, the window behind PC open, showing 0 GPU use with 49C and 38% fan! (being that 30 is lowest right?))

no overclocks running on this card.

~plz help?

Check if your card is going into its idle clock states else just increase the fan speed in Afterburner

And no you dont need to flash the bios, that would be a stupid thing to do as you would void your warranty when you could just increase your fan speeds in Afterburner to form your custom fan curve

And the fact that you are not in red anymore.

Dont remind me about that... But I suppose in the working world you also get people who are out to try and make your job miserable and get you fired