Are desktop PC's dying?

Queenz

I've been wanting to post this thread for the longest since its been bugging me.

But are desktop PC's dying? I don't know if it's just me but all of my friends are using laptops instead and don't really own a desktop anymore. It seems like smart phones, tablets, and laptops are taking over. When I had to take a mandatory computer repair class in college almost everyone in that class used laptops at home instead. There were some enthusiasts that like custom computers and even they had laptops instead of a desktop. Even my professor that taught things about windows computers was more interested in Mac's OS. I found that ridiculous since he spent the whole semester babbling on about Mac's OS.

The way desktops use more electricity, take up more space, and not portable make them less usable to the average consumer. And on top of that almost all of my friends use freakin MacBooks and suck Apple's d*** a lot. On top of me thinking desktop PC's are dying, it also seems like no one uses windows anymore. My college has since switched to all Mac's along with a host of other universities I've been to.

I know enthusiasts like us will say NEVER, but the truth is people like us that are interested in building custom computers only make up a small percentage of people that buy computers.

I could be wrong, but I'm just calling what I see. Just has me wondering sometimes if in the next 10 years no one will be into computer modding anymore. :mellow:

Edited by Queenz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm at home, I use my desktop, when away, a laptop is useful to have. I don't game much when I'm away, so opted for a lighter laptop, but still with at least a 1920 x 1080 screen.

There's still plenty of good reasons for a desktop, especially when you can build one for $375 that can do whatever a laptop with equivalent speeds can do for $750 or more.

Most work places still use desktops and they make up a pretty portion of the market.

I know a lot of people with tablets, but I have yet to hear someone that replaced their desktop with one. With as little as my mom uses one she could probably get away with a tablet.

While I would not say it is flourishing, PC Gaming is still promiment enough to keep it alive for the home market as well. I have a beefy laptop but I definitely prefer the desktop for gaming. I think of tablets as a good supplement but only as a replacement to lightest of users.

Don't discount the impact that enterprise, professional and business users have on desktop PC sales. While some laptops are approaching the performance of high-end desktop systems, there are some tasks that are just better suited for desktop PCs where room is needed for high performance components, heat dissipation and adequate power sources. I've read a few articles recently where the authors speculate that the rise in tablet sales will actually have a negative impact on laptop sales, but will push desktop PC sales higher. That makes sense because not everyone that uses a PC is exclusively a content consumer. Another market force is the adoption rate of cloud computing both for storage and productivity.

Right now I just think there are too many influences on the market to make a reasonable prediction one way or another. We can't forget the "cost" discussion nor can we dismiss the desktop PC uptake in locales outside of North America.

It really depends. My laptop is very handy for uni work, as it is light and has insane battery life. However I am yet to see a laptop that can outperform my lan rig, let alone the tri-Sli Hive :evilgrin:

If you're Waco's desktops, then yes. :lol:

One board dies a flaming death and I never hear the end of it. :lol:

Anyway - until laptops are the same cost as desktops for equivalent performance and upgradability/maintenance desktops won't die...at least not for anyone reasonable. :lol:

I'd never get a laptop for home use, like most people do, why get a portable, short-life and low performance pc when I can get a durable and high performance computer for the same money. My parents have a 2-years old asus mid-end laptop, battery died after 1 year, the dvd-writer after 2. My sister has also got an Acer laptop( 1 year old) and already started having temperature issues, and bad sectors on the hdd. My 6 years old desktop is still working fine(no upgrades / repairs), I replaced it because is outdated. It was used for gaming 5-15 hours per day, the laptops were used for browsing and messenger 2-3 hours/day. The only useful thing to do with those laptops was storing photos on them on vacation.

I think the desktops are dying because not everyone is a computer enthusiast. They only see the good part of a laptop, portability and wire absence, which is not worth for home use.

I would not say the are dying but I would agree that right now the trend is toward laptops and other portable computing devices. This is one of the reasons I have commented that the CPU and GPU industry needs to rethink their approach. Game makers are seeing this trend as well and games are starting to dmeand less horsepower for great game play. However I think this will rebound. Desktop systems still offer the best bang for the buck and as PC gaming continues it slow revival the demands on the systems will either have more cost effective gaming laptops or the desktop will gain ground again.

To be honest, lately I've been spending so little time gaming and have been away from home more and more that I'd definitely trade my desktop rig in for an equivalent laptop.

Low end i3s just about rape my X3220 and I'm SURE theres a mobile GPU better than my GTX285.

I'd lose out on what?

Storage space and screen real-estate... I could deal with this.

I've put a crap load of money into this desktop computer system, its almost shameful.

Though obviously with a desktop you're given the opportunity make it last that long.

Laptop definitely not.