continious bsod, i7 960 oc 4,2 ghz help pls

hi guys,

i m new to this forum but i found out that you guys could help me out <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my rig is:

gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R

intel i7-960

corsair vengeance 12 gb (3x4gb) 1600 mhz (9-9-9-24, 1.5v)

dont remember manufacturer but 620W PSU

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1gb DUAL-FAN DDR5 PCI-E

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT

CORSAIR H100 WATER COOLING

i want to do 4,2 ghz and i hope u guys can help me out. i have done loots of research with uncle google and recently found a topic within this forum, but unfortunately it didn't work at all cuz it was settings for a ASUS board and not an 960 but a 950. anyways here is the link to the topic

at the very start when i had 4x ram (4x4gb) i continiously got bsod and suddenly yesterday i run memtest and found out that one of those has aprox 75k errors :D so i decided to drop it.... but now, whatever i try, the system doesnt pass thru prime95 and gets bsod over and over again

sry for my bad english

will post updates if i get somewhat a stabile system....

btw. i m worried about to get too high temps as i now test vcore at 1,4500 and qpi/vtt at somewhere1,4 if i remember right?

thnx for reply

Edited by OneShootDown

list your BIOS settings.

Also, figure out what PSU you have. When I OCed my i7 950 it helped to have a higher quality PSU. A very low quality PSU will tend to be unstable for a variety of reasons.

Edit: That memory stick that you tossed.....you by any chance didn't happen to stick another ram module in place did you? You might want to run mem test again and make sure it isn't your actually ram socket that is causing you issues.

list your BIOS settings.

Also, figure out what PSU you have. When I OCed my i7 950 it helped to have a higher quality PSU. A very low quality PSU will tend to be unstable for a variety of reasons.

Edit: That memory stick that you tossed.....you by any chance didn't happen to stick another ram module in place did you? You might want to run mem test again and make sure it isn't your actually ram socket that is causing you issues.

its a silver power 620 w, atleast thats what it says on the power supply unit

i tested each ram stick one by one, in slot 1 and ran memtest86. i also ran memtest, after i found out which one cause bsod crash, with remaining 3 stick at the same time and memtest found no errors...

i recently downclocked the system by resetting cmos and running stock voltage etc with just x25/155/3,875Ghz and rest of it is at stock.. running prime atm..

before resetting cmos i tried:

9-9-9-24 ram timing at 1600 mhz 1,5v

vcore 1,45000v

qpi/vtt 1,415v

cpu pll 1,880v

no mess with pci-e - all set auto

intel turbo boost deactivated

load line cal... enabled

x21/200@4,2ghz

prime 95 for 15-20 min was no bsod so far

-------------

the reason i downclocked was to prevent damage to cpu due high voltages and avoid to void warranty bcos of over volting the cpu, And one more reason - electricy bill :)

Edited by OneShootDown

but can you guys find out a stabile 4,2 ghz with not soo high vcore voltage etc. cuz i know i m a bit noob to get a stabile oc. thanks guys

Here where my settings for my 950

23x185 4.255ghz

Ram 12gb 6x2gb 7-9-7-24 1854ghz

CPU volt 1.325

CPU pll volt 1.86825

Qpi/dram 1.33750

Ram volt 1.696

Ioh voltage 1.3515

Go back up to a 23 or 25 multiplier if you can and drop the block back down, some of the i7 chips have a hard time with a 200+ block. mine was lucky and could hit 207

Also if you can see what the bsod error code is that will help narrow down what might be wrong

Edited by olokul

Here where my settings for my 950

23x185 4.255ghz

Ram 12gb 6x2gb 7-9-7-24 1854ghz

CPU volt 1.325

CPU pll volt 1.86825

Qpi/dram 1.33750

Ram volt 1.696

Ioh voltage 1.3515

Go back up to a 23 or 25 multiplier if you can and drop the block back down, some of the i7 chips have a hard time with a 200+ block. mine was lucky and could hit 207

Also if you can see what the bsod error code is that will help narrow down what might be wrong

thank you i will try those setting asap i get back home...

I forgot to note that my whole sytem was under water, this includes the motherboard as well. If you dont feel comfortable with some of the voltages then dont do it. Just because they worked for mine dosent mean they will work for yours.

You shouldn't need as much IOH or QPI volts since you're only running three sticks of memory...I'd focus on setting the PLL volts to like 1.85-1.88, RAM to 1.65v(or 1.66v if your board is like mine) and then work up the CPU voltage until it's stable for hours

Hi,

I recently picked up my mates old i7-960, PT6D Deluxe and Kingston HyperX ti 3x4GB 1600. Took me about 3 days to research on how to OC this chip, coming from LGA775 I was quite noobish although I have OC before. Anyway I found a stable comfortable configuration which was well worth the time taking to tweak and test.

If you want a more detailed and descriptive explanation visit this guide as it's what I used and it was so very helpful - http://www.overclockers.com/updated-intel-overclocking-guides/

I'm pretty sure I can OC my setup more however I'm waiting to upgrade my case and go watercooling which I'm still doing some research on, because right now I'm using a Prolimatech Megahalem REV.B w/ 1 120mm Scythe Silent Fan @ 1500rpm constant. I used IntelBurn Test for stress test and passed 10/10 cycles on Maximum settings. Max temp I hit was 86c, which seems very high for 24/7 usage. However I read IntelBurn Test is more efficient than Prime as 10 cycles of IntelBurn Test is pretty much equivalent to running Prime over night and that it stresses 20% more give or take.

In conclusion my final OC in real world environment (how I use my PC) never even comes close to 86c. Ambient 22c, Idle 40c, Max 66c which I'm more than happy with considering I'm using air cooling.

Here is a screenshots of my achievement:

425ghz.png

3Dmark11 Results on Performance

3Dmark11.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer. Thanks for your time and I hope this helps.

Edited by reilentless

• 2 weeks later...

What BSOD code are you getting?? Check out this, Its worked every time. :D and also what is the temperature when it quit.

BSOD codes for overclocking

0x101 = increase vcore

0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is

0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore

0x1E = increase vcore

0x3B = increase vcore

0x3D = increase vcore

0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary

0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances

0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x

0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage

0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)

My observation - way too much vcore and qpi/vtt for 4.2Ghz on the CPU and 1600Mhz on the memory........

Honestly even 12Gb of memory running at 1600Mhz should have been achievable with 1.3 to 1.35v on QPI/VTT.

Careful on those recommendations to pump your DRAM voltage up to 1.65v - your current RAM is rated for 1.50v - but can safely run up to 1.6v before I got too worried. However, much like the QPI/VTT you shouldn't need that much juice to run it at DDR3 1600Mhz speeds. As Boinker pointed out, BSOD code would be helpful.