GTX 680 SLI or GTX 690 for 5760x1200 Gaming

I was thinking of upgrading my old cards for something new. I need something that will be able to handle 5760x1200 with lots of detail. So I am thinking about either the GTX 680 SLI or GTX 690. They are both close in performance and price. What would you guys get? What would be the better solution in the long run? That meaning a year from now, if I wanted to add another card, etc. I am assuming it will be difficult to get another GTX 690 ( plus quad SLI always sucked). I also know these will be dinosaur graphics cards in that time. I still plan on making use of them for a while (since they cost so much). What do you guys think?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also know these will be dinosaur graphics cards in that time. I still plan on making use of them for a while (since they cost so much). What do you guys think?

Huh, no, these will still be good cards in a year, look the GTX 580, it's still a great card even now and still outperforms all but the current high end cards. So they should last you for at least 2-3 years.

SLI gigabyte windforce GTX 670. It has plenty of horsepower, great cooling for sli, can be easily overclocked to 680 performance, and it would save you over 200 bucks that you could use for a plethora of different upgrades.

Hmm normally I would agree with Tj here, but I would recommend the SLI 680s solely due to the intense resolution you're running. A friend of mine cannot run a couple games optimally at that resolution with dual 670s :dunno:

I can't believe there is 12 different EVGA GTX 680's when I do a search on newegg. I see some are faster, the more expensive ones have 4 GB of RAM. What would be the effects of having a combined 2GB of memory, vs. having 4GB??

sli does not combine the memory so each card will be handling its own memory. so at those rez the more memory the better. I think you could do 4k rez without high AA/AF and you should be fine. If you want to run at the highest settings Quad Sli might be better.

sli does not combine the memory so each card will be handling its own memory. so at those rez the more memory the better. I think you could do 4k rez without high AA/AF and you should be fine. If you want to run at the highest settings Quad Sli might be better.

I thought so. In that case the next sentence will be more of a question, but it would also be a recommendation.

Would dual GTX 670 4GB cards work, and if not, would triple SLI or crossfire be an option?

Well a pair of 680 Signatures just turned up on my doorstep today, so ill let you know how they go at that res in the next few days :evilgrin:

Due to price and availability, i would go a pair of single gpu cards, either dual 680s or three 670s, as that is only $200 more than the 680s/690.