i7 3770K vs i7 3820

I'm still running SB for those same reasons CE :)

Although the maturity of most Z77 motherboards over their previous generation Z68 brethren is pretty impressive. Especially among the Gigabyte offerings.

I would go with the 3820, but instead of getting a 690, I would wait for the rumored GTX 685 which would use the GK110 . The GTX 690 is out of stock almost everywhere. Not to mention that it has been proven time and time again that two GTX 680s in SLI beat the GTX 690, and now that they are finally going to be using the GK110 GPU on a card, I can only imagine what two would do in SLI for about the same price as a 690.

What will you be doing with your system?

The 3820 has a disadvantage due to lower overclocking and no Lucidlogix Virtu support (useful for video encoding), but an advantage with supporting more memory due to the LGA 2011 platform. SSD caching is also through ASUS and not through Intel.

The 3770K has an advantage of higher overclocking and allows Lucidlogix Virtu MVP support.

Either way, both will need adequate cooling for the CPU if you're going to do some overclocking.

IMO, I'd go for whatever's cheapest. You're not getting a whole lot for the extra cost you'll be putting into it. I've seen i5 2500K + MB combos used going for around $250.

What will you be doing with your system?

The 3820 has a disadvantage due to lower overclocking and no Lucidlogix Virtu support (useful for video encoding), but an advantage with supporting more memory due to the LGA 2011 platform. SSD caching is also through ASUS and not through Intel.

The 3770K has an advantage of higher overclocking and allows Lucidlogix Virtu MVP support.

Either way, both will need adequate cooling for the CPU if you're going to do some overclocking.

IMO, I'd go for whatever's cheapest. You're not getting a whole lot for the extra cost you'll be putting into it. I've seen i5 2500K + MB combos used going for around $250.

With the exception of Video Transcoding the entire Virtu system is a placebo that has zero real world impact. I tested the MVP and while it looks impressive in tests it never produced anything that actually made a difference in real usage. The SSD caching thing is Intel and part of the Z77 chips.

I would also go with the 2500K and if he is serious about not pushing the overclock, say nothing beyond 4 Ghz then i would go the 2400 which can hit 3.9 EASY and costs less money.

With the exception of Video Transcoding the entire Virtu system is a placebo that has zero real world impact. I tested the MVP and while it looks impressive in tests it never produced anything that actually made a difference in real usage. The SSD caching thing is Intel and part of the Z77 chips.

I would also go with the 2500K and if he is serious about not pushing the overclock, say nothing beyond 4 Ghz then i would go the 2400 which can hit 3.9 EASY and costs less money.

I agree, and that's why I only put "(useful for video encoding)". :P

For LGA2011, SSD Caching is supported by ASUS and not Intel (if you have an ASUS MB, and if you're getting the RIVE, that's what you'll have). In Z68 and Z77, it's supported by Intel. I was just giving that info in the 3820 line, which could have been construed differently. ;)

Edited by El_Capitan

I agree, and that's why I only put "(useful for video encoding)". :P

For LGA2011, SSD Caching is supported by ASUS and not Intel (if you have an ASUS MB, and if you're getting the RIVE, that's what you'll have). In Z68 and Z77, it's supported by Intel. I was just giving that info in the 3820 line, which could have been construed differently. ;)

AHH my misunderstanding on the SSD Caching, of course you can go a simplier route and get a Chaching drive from Corsair and OCZ and it works on ANY system.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Intel coming out with an i7 IvyBridge socket 2011? I've seen some articles point to Q4 but i can't find anything definitive. It seems that combo would be the best of both worlds.

If I'm mostly gaming & using SLI, does one CPU have an advantage over the other?

Edited by lucky13*

the op said he got 4k to spend including 2x 690s (quad sli) so that being said i'm guessing its a gaming rig. i would go 1155 and save yourselff money. 2011 is really only usefull for the 6 cores

Edited by hornybluecow

I would actually say to get an i5 3570K. I also would say that you should scale back your two 690's to two GTX 670's with 4GB of memory.

Believe me when I say that I fully support going nuts about achieving the maximum performance on a PC, but the reality is that technology is ALWAYS changing. It is probably going to be about 10 months or so before haswell CPUs and Maxwell GPUs come out and make your PC look like a toy.

If you are 100% dead positive that you won't use the hyper threading on either of the i7 CPUs, then I would say to go with the i5 CPU and overclock it.

I would focus on a couple of things on your build... You should find a full tower case that you absolutley love, get a good high wattage good quality PSU, make a water cooling loop in your computer, and get the NZXT hue. If you get all of those parts then they should last you a very long time. The rest of the parts I would go weaker on with the assumption that you will be frequently upgrading.

• Like 1