why are PCI-e x1 Audio Cards so Expensive ?

tomana

I can get a PCI audio card (Creative Audigy series) for cheap. Why are X1 cards still so expensive?

The lower end of the Asus Xonar cards are pretty reasonably priced. Whats wrong with using the mobo's onboard HD codec? The latest ones are quite good, better than the old Creative Audigy 2 ZS unless your mobo still uses AC97.

Since onboard has gotten so good sound cards are almost a niche product.

Yup, pretty much. And for individuals looking for high quality audio out of their PC for listening to music, external DACs are now the way to go.

audio chip and features on each sound card are different

most PCIe x1 cards are newer and have better audio chips that is why they are more expensive than the 7 year old soundblaster audigy card you found on sale

I've heard of people actually snipping off everything but the 1X part of the interface on the card and it actually works - maybe not for everything though. If you have to have a 1X, hacking a cheaper 4X / 8X could be an option, I'd look into it

I've heard of people actually snipping off everything but the 1X part of the interface on the card and it actually works - maybe not for everything though. If you have to have a 1X, hacking a cheaper 4X / 8X could be an option, I'd look into it

Depends if the rest of the pcb in the 4x/8x is just dead weight. If it has contacts then cutting it is not an option.

Also cutting it ruins all chance of an rma should it flake out.

Depends if the rest of the pcb in the 4x/8x is just dead weight. If it has contacts then cutting it is not an option.

Also cutting it ruins all chance of an rma should it flake out.

You can cut it regardless. That's how PCIe is designed. :)

You can cut it regardless. That's how PCIe is designed. :)

I remember reading about a guy using a ATI 2600 Pro that way, I think he made it a 8x card by cutting it down

Since onboard has gotten so good sound cards are almost a niche product.

And the fact that PCI is a dying interface. It's pretty evident that most sound card manufacturer's are focusing all of their good design efforts on the PCIe interface. Asus is one exception as they are still mfg. at least three great sound cards using the PCI interface.

And the fact that PCI is a dying interface. It's pretty evident that most sound card manufacturer's are focusing all of their good design efforts on the PCIe interface. Asus is one exception as they are still mfg. at least three great sound cards using the PCI interface.

PCI cards are cheap - it's the PCIe ones that cost a lot. :P