Migrate from 1TB HDD to 120GB SSD

DeathNote

How do you migrate from a 1TB HDD to a 120GB SSD?

The 1TB drive only has 60GB of data on it atm and its the OS drive. I just picked up an SSD and want to migrate that information to the SSD so I can use that as my OS drive instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The 1TB drive only has 60GB of data on it atm and its the OS drive. I just picked up an SSD and want to migrate that information to the SSD so I can use that as my OS drive instead.

i would do a fresh install on that ssd, seperating all that data will be hard with the drive that full.

do you have a 1tb external drive or similar? if so i would copy all your stuff across to that, install win7 on the new ssd, wipe the old 1tb and then copy only what you need off the external onto the 1tb.

otherwise odd things can happen when you have windows 7 installed on two drives when both are plugged into the same system

C'mon guys. I did a whole review on it. It won't really affect it that much: http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/2012/04/debunking-rumor-about-clean-installs-on.html

Once garbage collection kicks in, it'll clean up better.

Acronis Home True Image is what I use.

Edited by El_Capitan
  • Like 1

EASEUS Partition Master Pro.

Clone the drive, just don't include free space in the cloning. It'll clone it as though the entire drive was 60GB. If you pay attention to the options menu: It can be cloned bootable even without free space cloning.

Fresh install is ALWAYS best. But if you're in a hurry, that's my recommendation.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, you could directly use 3rd party tool, but inorder to full play the performance of SSD, you need to turn on AHCI in BIOS, but before this you need to change the register key value " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci" to "0" then go ahead...and here I suggset a free software Aomei Partition Assistant Home edition, it provides this feature in wizard which is very easy to handle and it could align partition during the process.

C'mon guys. I did a whole review on it. It won't really affect it that much: http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/2012/04/debunking-rumor-about-clean-installs-on.html

Once garbage collection kicks in, it'll clean up better.

Acronis Home True Image is what I use.

:withstupid: I use the free version with the mandatory features (Seagate Discwizard) and have cloned my VelociRaptor (300GB) to my current Vertex 2 120GB and had no problems what so ever.