To get or not to get SWTOR ?

Nyt

Hi guys,

So I've been eyeing Star Wars The Old Republic for a while now and have found a place where I can get it in South Africa.

I want your opinions on the game and whether I should or should not get the game. I like RPG's, I loved the original SWKOTOR series (Games 1 and 2), is it anything like the original series ?

I picked it up and tried it out for a couple weeks. Basically, it's a StarWars themed World of Warcraft. I didn't like WoW, so I didn't like SWTOR. It might change at later levels, but I couldn't stand it to make it that far. I never played the SWKOTOR series so I can't comment on that, but I'm pretty sure they are far different styles of games.

SWTOR is awesome if you love the Star Wars lore and movies. It's not at all like WoW...I've played both. This game is really story driven and does not require you to have to find others to team up with to complete anything because you get companions to play with you.

If you like story then this game is definately worth it!

I enjoyed the game, but personally once you finish your characters story there isn't much to do besides making another character and enjoying that story lol...

The game is lacking in stuff at the end to do, which can be typical of an MMO so young.

My advice right now would be to play it for the story, but don't get to involved with the end game. There is some, but it is kinda stale.

There is a lot of references to the original games, and some of the characters return. You see Darth Malgus in the trailers so I think I can let that one out of the bag, but there are others :)

Edited by greengiant912

SWTOR is awesome if you love the Star Wars lore and movies. It's not at all like WoW...I've played both. This game is really story driven and does not require you to have to find others to team up with to complete anything because you get companions to play with you.

If you like story then this game is definately worth it!

I should clarify, the combat felt like WoW to me. I also didn't make it far in both WoW and SWTOR, level 35 warrior in WoW and level 16 or 17 Marauder in SWTOR. Both are fighter-type classes, so that may be why I felt it to be lacking. I could have tried a caster class I suppose, I seem to stick with them a lot better for some reason.

There are a lot of WoW elements within the game, but that being said the game dose have a lot of new and innovative features about it.

MMOs these days have to draw the WoW base, so thats why you will see a lot of the WoW elements in new games. Just like how WoW stole ideas from everquest and other games...

Edited by greengiant912

I played this game for a while but in the end it is just another MMO with voice acting added. The voice acting is really cool for a while but wears thin quickly. The game itself is pretty solid but nothing amazing. I would look at holding off a bit longer though. EA and Bioware have started a campaign trying to convice people the player base is not shrinking while at the same time cutting back the number of servers they have. You might see a really nice sale soon to try and biolster numbers.

I enjoyed the story of the game but other then that its like every other mmo. Once you hit max level only thing left is PvP or to run the same instances over and over. I suggest you play the game on a RP server and join a RPing guild. You will have much more fun even at end game.

• 2 weeks later...

It's more like an RPG game where you can meet up with your friends. Some of the class stories are really great, some of them are rather linear and boring. Go for bounty hunter or agent. Endgame is bug-ridden to the point where it ruins the game. I enjoyed lvling, but stopped after that.