Benefits of Push/Pull and cases

FYI, if your running a Thermaltake rad, get rid of it now. The rad is made from alluminum and you are mixing metals which is a nono in waco(watercooling). The copper heatsink and alluminum (mixed metals) will corrode quickly.

Is it not just aluminum fins? Or is it full aluminium?

Is it not just aluminum fins? Or is it full aluminium?

full alluminium...

just installed push/pull fan setup...got delayed a bit with moving...so will check tomorrow to see how much better it is :D

so how quickly will it corrode?....as I have the TMG 2...with a copper DD 8800gtx waterblock...and a swiftech apogee gt CPU block....

when I upgrade my gpu...I'll probably be going back to aircooled..until I can get a quieter pump(currently I have a swiftech mcp 355)...and a bigger rad...so will this corrosion MESS up my system?...or should I just change the liquid more often?

Unfortunately I have to use some aluminum encased components on my hoists in a salt mine I work at. I can't guesstimate on timing since the salt helps everything corrode extra fast, but as for the aluminum... When it corrodes between the copper and aluminum, the aluminum has blooms of corrosion that will fill the entire enclosure. It isn't like the copper corrosion that is a little bit of green material or some pitting. Changing your coolant wouldn't help much with this either since your first indicators will be in the aluminum components clogging or getting limited flow.

Function over form for me.

I'd just mount one set of fans, the Rad and the pull fans or the whole setup right on the outside top of the case and slap some grills on.

Why get a huge case for that when you can just use any case and externally mount the Rad?

Make a shroud if you're worried about looks.

:D

Edited by Andrewr05

Or Radbox it off the back. ;)

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a mid-tower case and wanting to keep everything inside the case. I think having radiators on top or hanging off the case just looks silly too.

I already purchased an HAF 932 Advanced and the XSPC Raystorm Extreme 360 kit from FrozenCPU. $300 for what looks like an amazing kit, will show pics and a mini review when I get time to install it all.

just installed push/pull fan setup...got delayed a bit with moving...so will check tomorrow to see how much better it is :D

after all my benchmarking and stress testing...i have on average 9% cooler temps...and this is with my CPU @ 3.2ghz...and GPU OC'ed @ +5-8%

on a 240mm rad...Thermaltake TMG 2...which is pretty slim...I would presume more gains on a bigger and thicker rad

FYI, if your running a Thermaltake rad, get rid of it now. The rad is made from alluminum and you are mixing metals which is a nono in waco(watercooling). The copper heatsink and alluminum (mixed metals) will corrode quickly.

OK...I was just reading around when I came across an article..that says if you put some anti-freeze or anti corrosion liquid in you loop...it will stop(or at least slow down) corrosion......is it true?

source:

http://www.overclockers.com/watercooling-myths-exposed/

It helps, but it doesn't stop it completely and it lowers the ability of the water to absorb heat (so your temps will be higher).

It helps, but it doesn't stop it completely and it lowers the ability of the water to absorb heat (so your temps will be higher).

I thought so....as I've always used 1part anti-freeze and 3parts water..

kind of new to water cooling , just got a small water cooling setup for my cpu , want a push pull setup , but dont have enough space in the case , will placing the radiator in contact with the case and placing the fan behind the case cause any problems

kind of new to water cooling , just got a small water cooling setup for my cpu , want a push pull setup , but dont have enough space in the case , will placing the radiator in contact with the case and placing the fan behind the case cause any problems

Like mounting it to the top of the case and having the fans inside as well as on the top of the rad (fan > case pannel > rad > fan)? In that case it should be fine (as long as there are holes though the case pannel for the air to travel :) )