Benefits of Push/Pull and cases

Hey guys, looking to do a WC loop for my setup at some point. I'm doing it for low noise to silent and better cooling than air heatsinks.

Basically, I want to know if having push and pull fans on a radiator is worth it. An extra 25mm at minimum is a lot of space for two fans on each side. Just seeing if it makes the temps a lot better or just somewhat.

Also, if it really does help, I am trying to find what cases can support a top mounted radiator and fans on both sides. Figure 60mm for a good 8-9FPI 360 radiator, as well as 50mm for both fans combined. So roughly 110mm of space above the motherboard. So far I have found the NZXT Switch 810, possible the Corsair 800D, and depending on motherboard/radiator size the HAF X and 932.

Since I love the HAF cases, that is more what I am leaning towards. Plus, any good low FPI radiators in 360 size (looking at Black Ice SR1 360 right now). Let me know guys, thanks for the help!

Edited by TraptPatriot

push pull setup drops my temps a few Cs but not enough to have a large impact and it's more noisy. if you have a GPU in your loop it's helpful.

i have the same case and i only was able to put the raid outside the case for the push pull, differently a ugly turnoff.

push pull setup drops my temps a few Cs but not enough to have a large impact and it's more noisy. if you have a GPU in your loop it's helpful.

i have the same case and i only was able to put the raid outside the case for the push pull, differently a ugly turnoff.

I will be running two radiators, the 360 and a 120. CPU block and GPU block, possibly a second GPU block in the future. And I won't be using the HAF 922, will upgrade to 932/X or another case depending on compatibility.

sadly I have to say that my WC setup is a lot louder than my air setup...and like hbc said...only for a few 'C cooler on load temps...

but I keep more for bragging rights....and my 8800GTX 768mb only has a WC block...;)

Push/pull is definitely worth it, especially if you're trying to keep noise down.

My HAF 932 easily fits a thick radiator (XSPC RX360) with 25mm fans in push/pull at the top of the case. You'll sacrifice the top two 5.25" bays, but who actually uses them anyway? :lol: This is a pic of my old setup, but the radiator is still in the same place:

DSCF5182.jpg

EDIT: To keep costs down you might consider one of these two: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12700/ex-rad-225/Magicool_Extreme_Triple_120mm_Radiator_LC-RADI360S.html?tl=g30c95s161#blank and http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8523/ex-rad-146/XSPC_RX360_Triple_120mm_Radiator_Rev_2.html?tl=g30c95s161

• Like 1

wow waco nice setup. I feel like cooling a single cpu and gpu you don't need anything more than a single 360 rad. Also push and pull is a lot louder because you're doubling the fans and noise, i don't see how it's quieter for you.

wow waco nice setup. I feel like cooling a single cpu and gpu you don't need anything more than a single 360 rad. Also push and pull is a lot louder because you're doubling the fans and noise, i don't see how it's quieter for you.

My guess would be using quiter fans to get the same cooling as louder higher cfm fans....

i'm going to be setting this up this week on my rig...

i have a thermal take TMG2 240mm rad at the top of my haf 932

Fans: I have 2x thermaltake fans and 2x Yate Loon D12SL

the thermaltake ones have a cfm of 54 and the yates 47....

is it better to have the higher cfm one pushing and the yates pulling or vice versa?

and does it have a major effect on the temps?

thanks

Edited by Il_napoletano

My guess would be using quiter fans to get the same cooling as louder higher cfm fans....

This. Running two fans at full speed is obviously louder than one, but two fans at half speed will cool better than one fan at full speed and be more quiet doing it. :)

EDIT: As for how to run your fans - I'd put them on so that both Yates are together and both TT fans are together. That way you'll avoid any weird resonances from the different speeds.

Push/pull is definitely worth it, especially if you're trying to keep noise down.

My HAF 932 easily fits a thick radiator (XSPC RX360) with 25mm fans in push/pull at the top of the case. You'll sacrifice the top two 5.25" bays, but who actually uses them anyway? :lol: This is a pic of my old setup, but the radiator is still in the same place

EDIT: To keep costs down you might consider one of these two: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12700/ex-rad-225/Magicool_Extreme_Triple_120mm_Radiator_LC-RADI360S.html?tl=g30c95s161#blank and http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8523/ex-rad-146/XSPC_RX360_Triple_120mm_Radiator_Rev_2.html?tl=g30c95s161

Wow thanks dude. Guess my mind is set - HAF 932 Advanced here I come. What fans do you use for the top radiator? I was thinking Gentle Typhoons 1150RPM, but never WC'ed before so no first hand experience.

Very nice post Waco!

I would use those gentle typhoons for an xspc rx360 or the ex360 depending on how much stuff will be in the loop. If you plan on using the rx360 i would nit use an additional 120 radiator. A haf932 advanced would be a wonderful choice for both options. But I wouldnt use push/pull though. The cost really does not outwieght the gains. Othere then that you sgould be good to go.

I would use those gentle typhoons for an xspc rx360 or the ex360 depending on how much stuff will be in the loop. If you plan on using the rx360 i would nit use an additional 120 radiator. A haf932 advanced would be a wonderful choice for both options. But I wouldnt use push/pull though. The cost really does not outwieght the gains. Othere then that you sgould be good to go.

I was planning on having it cool the CPU and GPU at first, with the possibility of another GPU in the future. Figured I could just get the 120mm rad at that time for a little bit extra cooling. Or do you guys suggest just a single 360 radiator that is around 60mm is enough for all three? All would be OC'ed of course.