Benefits of Push/Pull and cases

Well, to put it in perspective, I kept my Phenom II X3 720 unlocked to a quad and overclocked to 3.5 GHz (which took 1.55 volts) along with a pair of 4870X2s within reasonable temperatures with a single 35mm thick 360mm radiator. The temps weren't great, but they were "okay" as long as I didn't fire up Furmark for a long time. :lol:

So yeah, a single thick radiator like the RX360 with push/pull fans will probably be more than enough for a CPU and a pair of GPUs.

• Like 1

With my Modified swiftech Apogee XT, MCP655 pump, Pair of EK-FC480's With backing plate, and two radiators. One EX360 and a EX120 radiator. Custom Redneck Res. :lol: Best res EVER

right now I am cooling "successfully" a I7 950 @ 4.00 GHZ with a Pair of EVGA vanilla GTX 480's overclocked to 900-1800-2000 @ 1.150 volts.

Ill post some temps after a 30 minute test. Ill use Prime 95 Blender and uengine heaven Gpu tester. :P

Load temps with everything loaded after 30 minutes are. "soon to be redetermined"

GPU 1: Idle: 40c, load 61c

GPU2 : Idle: 35c, load 60c

cpu Max: Idle 40c, Load 80c

Cant say its cold.... BUT IT WORKS. :woot:

Yea that is a bit warm for me. But the EX is half the size of the RX roughly. Single 360 for CPU and GPU and add a 120 or 240 when/if I add another GPU. Also, going to order the HAF 932 Advanced this Friday. Hope its still on sale at Newegg lol.

Fan noise is reduced quite a bit when you use a shroud or a spacer. It also removes/lessens the dead spot. Never understood why people think watercooling is quieter when you're doubling, tripling or even more the number of fans you have as well as adding a pump(s) :teehee:

Fan noise is reduced quite a bit when you use a shroud or a spacer. It also removes/lessens the dead spot. Never understood why people think watercooling is quieter when you're doubling, tripling or even more the number of fans you have as well as adding a pump(s) :teehee:

Still better than some CPU or GPU fans at 100% lol.

For me it is. My gtx480's are howling banshees while air cooled. When they are watercooled i can hear the powersupply over everything else ramping up. Who would have ever imagined that a 1200 watt psu would be brought to its ramp up point with a pair of 480's and a 920 on a workstation board.... Not me of course.. Lol.

The issue that people run into is the fans they use versus the radiator. If the op is to use 800 rpm fans in an rx360 then he may hear the pump or psu over everything else. If i could afford a db meter then i would do the testing myself but thats not happening for a while. For an ultra silent build just like anything else you need to add radiator surface area. With the single wide radiator that is just not happening when you have cpu and gpu in the loop together. Issue being that you need fans in access of 1000rpm to push through a tight fin density. With the rx series or a wider radiator that issue with evaporate. The rx360 actually does not see much performance difference or gain when moving from 800 rpm fans to 1200 rpm fans as the air moved through seemlessly. Hope this will further assist your decision.

i do hear my pump alot now i think about it. I also invested in some good fans but fans will sound like fans so i usually only let one run out of the 4 while the computer is in idle.

here is my setup with the 922. Honestly unless you are heart set on watercooling some video cards it's way cheaper to get a H100 for $100 and call it good. otherwise you are spending 400+ for a good setup

Edited by hornybluecow

i do hear my pump alot now i think about it. I also invested in some good fans but fans will sound like fans so i usually only let one run out of the 4 while the computer is in idle.

here is my setup with the 922. Honestly unless you are heart set on watercooling some video cards it's way cheaper to get a H100 for $100 and call it good. otherwise you are spending 400+ for a good setup

Water cooling the video cards is why I am doing this. 975/1950/2000 with 1.15 volts on a 570 creates some good heat. Have to turn fan up and it gets loud lol. CPU cooler is not as loud but still there.

FYI, if your running a Thermaltake rad, get rid of it now. The rad is made from alluminum and you are mixing metals which is a nono in waco(watercooling). The copper heatsink and alluminum (mixed metals) will corrode quickly.

FYI, if your running a Thermaltake rad, get rid of it now. The rad is made from alluminum and you are mixing metals which is a nono in waco(watercooling). The copper heatsink and alluminum (mixed metals) will corrode quickly.

so how quickly will it corrode?....as I have the TMG 2...with a copper DD 8800gtx waterblock...and a swiftech apogee gt CPU block....

when I upgrade my gpu...I'll probably be going back to aircooled..until I can get a quieter pump(currently I have a swiftech mcp 355)...and a bigger rad...so will this corrosion MESS up my system?...or should I just change the liquid more often?

Edited by Il_napoletano

Hey guys, looking to do a WC loop for my setup at some point. I'm doing it for low noise to silent and better cooling than air heatsinks.

Basically, I want to know if having push and pull fans on a radiator is worth it. An extra 25mm at minimum is a lot of space for two fans on each side. Just seeing if it makes the temps a lot better or just somewhat.

Also, if it really does help, I am trying to find what cases can support a top mounted radiator and fans on both sides. Figure 60mm for a good 8-9FPI 360 radiator, as well as 50mm for both fans combined. So roughly 110mm of space above the motherboard. So far I have found the NZXT Switch 810, possible the Corsair 800D, and depending on motherboard/radiator size the HAF X and 932.

Since I love the HAF cases, that is more what I am leaning towards. Plus, any good low FPI radiators in 360 size (looking at Black Ice SR1 360 right now). Let me know guys, thanks for the help!

Here is a great analysis on the results for Push vs Pull vs Push Pull configurations from Martinsliquidlabs... http://martinsliquid...ing-Review.html.

FYI - I use both an SR1360 and SR1 480 both in Pull and they work perfectly. .

Edited by Ronsanut