Awesome parenting

Silas13013

Father fault, the chores were slave labor, NOT normal chores. The father should be locked up. Period and end of story.

In fact, the only reason I know that that facebook post was legit was because my mom says the SAME EXACT thing to me whenever possible. That was NOT a rebel thing, that was a plea for help. All of you need to be a bit more analytical rather than jumping the gun (see the pun?) because you can identify with the dad.

I sifted through this discussion but I would like to make a few points:

First of all, Angel, a child cannot sue a parent for destroying their property as those possessions are not legally theirs.

Secondly, a child is protected under child protection laws from parental abuse, and having the child do chores does not constitute abuse, else most--if not all--parents would have their children taken away and be behind bars.

Thirdly, Angel, is right in questioning whether what the father is providing the viewers is the complete story. Personally, I don't believe this is a rebellious episode as a result of abuse as Angel was insinuating.

Fourthly, what Angel was suggesting in the use of a gun could lead to is a logical fallacy--a slippery slope fallacy.

Fifthly, why are we debating on his weapon of choice? If he had used a sledge hammer would we make these assumptions? It just so happens he prefers to use a gun over a sledge hammer. Even though I am not a pro-gun advocate, I do not believe we are justified in making said assumptions about him [the father].

Let us be civil, objective and logical. These sort of discussions usually turn into heated debates of opinions based on personal morals and beliefs.

Edit: Personally, I feel for the child as I had that sort of mentality and in some essence still do. But you have to look at the situation from the parents' perspective as well. She is not being treated as a slave, those are chores and her assigned responsibilities. As our parents' children, we feel that they take us for granted and does not appreciate what we do around the house--just because they put the bread on the table we are treated as lessers. But do we not do the same? Do we not take for granted what our parents provide for us (food, shelter, clothes, and so on)? She is not a slave, for any one to consider her a slave is to make light of slavery back in the day. If she is so unhappy with her parents she could always get a court order to be declared as an independent (I forget the term for it) and live on her own.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Father fault, the chores were slave labor, NOT normal chores. The father should be locked up. Period and end of story.

You're insane if you think this is a reasonable reaction to this.

I laugh at the people that think this girl is being mistreated lol. They nor this girl would have lasted 10 minutes growing up with my parents. I can tell you that while I hated it while I was there most of the time I am sure the hell glad they did it because it worked. As I was told several times during my youth by my parents "the law only says we have to feed, clothe and keep a roof over your head, anything after that is extra". Kids these days are to damn soft anyways and most could use a lesson just like that father just taught.

I laugh at the people that think this girl is being mistreated lol. They nor this girl would have lasted 10 minutes growing up with my parents. I can tell you that while I hated it while I was there most of the time I am sure the hell glad they did it because it worked. As I was told several times during my youth by my parents "the law only says we have to feed, clothe and keep a roof over your head, anything after that is extra". Kids these days are to damn soft anyways and most could use a lesson just like that father just taught.

She had it light. My parents would have probably used physical punishment and then driven her out of the house for a day or two.

Edited by PremiumAcc

I sifted through this discussion but I would like to make a few points:

First of all, Angel, a child cannot sue a parent for destroying their property as those possessions are not legally theirs.

Secondly, a child is protected under child protection laws from parental abuse, and having the child do chores does not constitute abuse, else most--if not all--parents would have their children taken away and be behind bars.

Thirdly, Angel, is right in questioning whether what the father is providing the viewers is the complete story. Personally, I don't believe this is a rebellious episode as a result of abuse as Angel was insinuating.

Fourthly, what Angel was suggesting in the use of a gun could lead to is a logical fallacy--a slippery slope fallacy.

Fifthly, why are we debating on his weapon of choice? If he had used a sledge hammer would we make these assumptions? It just so happens he prefers to use a gun over a sledge hammer. Even though I am not a pro-gun advocate, I do not believe we are justified in making said assumptions about him [the father].

Let us be civil, objective and logical. These sort of discussions usually turn into heated debates of opinions based on personal morals and beliefs.

Edit: Personally, I feel for the child as I had that sort of mentality and in some essence still do. But you have to look at the situation from the parents' perspective as well. She is not being treated as a slave, those are chores and her assigned responsibilities. As our parents' children, we feel that they take us for granted and just because they put the bread on the table we are treated as lessers. But do we not do the same? Do we not take for granted what our parents provide for us (food, shelter, clothes, and so on)? She is not a slave, for any one to consider her a slave is to make light of slavery back in the day. If she is so unhappy with her parents she could always get a court order to be declared as an independent (I forget the term for it) and live on her own.

I believe the term you are looking for is emancipated minor.

And I agree Coors and Premium, chores are nowhere even remotely close to slave labor. What the African American's went through before the civil war, what the Hebrews in Egypt went through building the pyramids... Working until they died, literally.... That is slave labor, this absolutely pales in comparison.

Calling her chores slave labor is a slap in the face to anyone thats actually been enslaved the last two thousand years.
I agree so much I'll quote it again:

"Calling her chores slave labor is a slap in the face to anyone thats actually been enslaved the last two thousand years."

Back to rationality though, we don't know the whole story.

There are some parents who I think are indeed too strict, just as there are some who are way too lenient.

This guys chores may indeed be too strict, I don't really know.

Though my father did try to pull the 'When I was your age I was doing X, Y and Z already...' thing with me and I fought against it, I think there is a fine line between giving your children chores and making them work as much as you did at that age.

Despite that I still swept and took out the trash and raked the yard and did the dishes (not without some fighting of course) but as I said in my previous posts I thank my parents for making me do those things, people need to know what it's like to run a household before they're just thrown into the world.

What sucks is that it is this guy coming under attack and not the thousands of parents who are actually abusing their children right now... this very second.

- - - -

What an over dramatic pile. Did he REALLY need to shoot the laptop? Couldn't he have just taken it away?

If this is his best attempt at resolving the situation, I can't even begin to imagine what else went through his head.

See my previous post:

Apparently not, so the dad ends up taking all his anger out on her laptop with a gun?

Would you be going on about this if he took a hatchet to the laptop instead of shooting it? or perhaps ran it over and crushed it?

I honestly don't think you would.

A few shots in a laptop, then I guess a few shots in the leg won't matter either?

• A few swings with the hatchet at the laptop, then I guess a few swings with the hatchet at the leg won't matter either?
  • A few rolls of my tires over the laptop, then I guess a few rolls of my tires over the leg won't matter either?

Personally, I would have just taken it away or donated it to charity. But I think the father probably makes good money and wanted to make a point so he destroyed the laptop.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Chores are not slave labor. HER chores are slave labor.

Getting coffee for someone is not a chore.

And I did check with one of my friend who has a law degree. Indeed he can be sued. The laptop was hers. Ownership is 9/10ths of the law fellows. He defaced her property.

Also, interesting side note. I called child protective service to check the situation out. I gave the lady the link. She said they have already dispatched someone to investigate. They said they are already working on a search warrant. Apparently, there has been a reported case of domestic abuse from that family. Hence the mother and step mother issue. She also said that if what the girl said is true through and through, then it does not constituent as normal chores.

Check and mate guys.