AMD HD 7xxx or nVidia GTX 7xx

NikoDG

since kepler has 6.4B transistors and southern islands have just 4.3 the manufacturing cost (same fab and technology) should be 48.8% higher, thus probably the price. 45% faster was already written out in the article. regarding the "sli sux" comment most recent comparisons push crossfire scaling ut to 94%+ in 90% of games and sli scaling at 70%+ in 90% of games, thats a big difference, but i can of course be wrong about this (so i hinted that sli often scale less than 50%, but cf does that too... maybe not as often, i don't know). the power consumtion is again just an assumption based on the 48.8% more transistors in the die. more memory is better when needed, but really i just wanted to find more 50% numbers just for fun. 50% of a year before nvidia, shoud really be 25%, i.e. at least 3 months before, but i had so many 50% number by then so i continued...

I thought it was somewhat funny, but apparently i suck ;)

regarding why i wanted a 7950 is that i saw a review comparing it to a 7970 at the same clocks, and just a 5% difference was discovered on average and it had less power consumption and 20% lower price, so high end right now thats the best proposition in my mind.

So, if a GTX 660 Ti is 10% better than the HD 7950, and the HD 7970 is only 5% better than the GD 7950, the GTX 660 Ti should beat the HD 7970? The GTX 660 Ti should also cost substantially less :teehee:

According to what medbor said about the performance difference of the HD 7970 and 7950 :P

the 780 will probably be more powerful than the 7970, and probably will cost more too, as thats how nvidia does things, they wait for amd to release, then they go one better

I really don't think NV "waits" for AMD to release before releasing their cards. You release your new products as soon as they are ready regardless of what the competition is doing. The only exception to this is if you already released your new process and are tweaking it. You may wait for the other company to bring out top-dog card and then come back with your refreshed higher-end card. Some speculation that AMD is planning on doing this with a 7980 once the 680 (or 780) comes out.

If I was in charge of marketing for nVidia, I would tell them to just man up and rename their cards to:

- The Legit Card (instead of GTX 760)

- The Awesome Card (instead of GTX 770)

- The K!CK A$$ Card (instead of GTX 780)

- The Best Card (GTX 790)

Then you just version the cards after that. Oh and don't forget to copywrite it so AMD can't change the name in creative ways - like AMD K!CK's nVidia's A$$ Card. That wouldn't be cool at all.

+1 very accurate indeed.

Finally got my 7970's today. Now I just have to wait for the new Nvidia cards won't be long now :)

Would you consider sending out a donation of two of the top single GPU cards that are on the market when the next gen nvidia cards come to play?

If I wanted to do the kind of purchase you just did I would need to drop $5400 on it... may as well buy a car.