GPU: GeForce GTX 460

DLions8708

Alright, so I said in another post that I dont game, but one day thought "Hey, I have a decent enough rig to play games, lets just try one". So I downloaded and played Batman: Arkham City. Now I'm hooked, so I wanted a video card to play games just on high settings. I'm not worried about ultra high settings as with two small kids and a wife who is a full time student, I dont get a lot of time to play anyway. But I would like better than what I have. I did the benchmark that comes with Batman and got an average of 18 fps. which I could tell was bad when playing. I've been looking at three cards (all are GTX 460, as http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+460 puts that as the second best GPU for the price):

1. Gigabyte ($139.99 + Shipping) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125412

2. PNY ($99.99 after MIR) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133428

3. Galaxy (Deactivated on Newegg, but available on Amazon) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162058

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte because reading reviews, the new version of the PNY doesnt have an external exhaust like the one pictured. I dont know if thats true, but I would rather know for sure that it has one, plus the Gigabyte has 2 fans as opposed to just one with the PNY.

So my questions are 1. Is that a good card for light to medium gaming, and 2. Are they really any different other than brands (assuming that the PNY comes with the exhaust)??

Thanks,

Kyle

PS. Sorry, one more question. It looks like all the Radeon cards are in PCIE 2.1, is that plug and play into a 2.0 board, or is there updates and/or modding involved? Thanks.

Edited by DLions8708

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 - Yes, it could probably even do High or Ultra settings in some games

2 - EVGA but read below

I would go with the Gigabyte. One I hate PNY (cheap materials), two I hate MIRs (been screwed so many times), three has a better cooler on it, and four that is the best all around deal on a 460 currently. I have seen the GTX 460 being sold for $100 on Newegg's shell shocker but that was last summer and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it then.

Edit: Opps, missed your ATI question... You could go with a HD 6850 no problem without modding anything.

Edited by Fogel

I bought an EVGA GTX460 last year and my wife is using that in an E8400 with 4GB of RAM to play Star Wars: TOR. From what I've seen, it does a great job at rendering the game, and while she doesn't have the settings at max, they're nearly all on high. Given that Batman: AC runs great on the 360, I can't imagine you'd have any trouble using a much newer GPU (GTX460) to run it.

I bought an EVGA GTX460 last year and my wife is using that in an E8400 with 4GB of RAM to play Star Wars: TOR. From what I've seen, it does a great job at rendering the game, and while she doesn't have the settings at max, they're nearly all on high. Given that Batman: AC runs great on the 360, I can't imagine you'd have any trouble using a much newer GPU (GTX460) to run it.

i imagine he would be playing different games. Batman is ust the one that got him "hooked"

Gotcha, thanks guys. Im running an old PNY Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI, which is fine for everything but games, but i couldnt even play Mafia II on it.

I feel better after your responses. I may look into a Radeon since as you say it will work fine.

Kyle

Ocre,

Haha, thanks. It wasnt the game that got me hooked, but easibility of playing on the computer other than on the PS3. Plus it keeps the TV open for the wife.

I play mostly sports, first person shooters, and the occasional open area games like Mafia and Batman.

Kyle