P10000 3D MARK11, OCed Budget X-79 $1500 build

4th3truth

I think I made a very smart decision by not jumping on the post LGA-775 sockets or ddr3 because this things still kicking some serious framerates on skyrim and bf3 on high (and hopefully D3). Now I can save up and build a whole new system when ddr4 comes out or something! Talk about system longevity...! Futureproofing isnt really that hard if you just ask yourself what you're gona be satisfied with. Unless you're "that" guy whos never satisfied XD ( aka, me 4 years ago, always wanted flagship models until I realized the horrible truth of technological advancement...)

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but yeah. I think OP needs to just go with what he thinks will satisfiy his gaming needs, don't think too much into the future because you can only predict so much...

exactly +1

I think I made a very smart decision by not jumping on the post LGA-775 sockets or ddr3 because this things still kicking some serious framerates on skyrim and bf3 on high (and hopefully D3). Now I can save up and build a whole new system when ddr4 comes out or something! Talk about system longevity...! Futureproofing isnt really that hard if you just ask yourself what you're gona be satisfied with. Unless you're "that" guy whos never satisfied XD ( aka, me 4 years ago, always wanted flagship models until I realized the horrible truth of technological advancement...)

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but yeah. I think OP needs to just go with what he thinks will satisfiy his gaming needs, don't think too much into the future because you can only predict so much...

Yes your correct, I was thinking of just keeping my current system and upgrading to a Q6600 or better for less then $100 and upgrade from this damn 17" CRT GATEWAY! =( . But I think that next gen games are going to have a similar thread processing to the newer quad-cores with the 2mb at least cache per core.

The X360s tri processor is slightly more powerful then my processor but has lead to me having . FPS for the last 6 years due to most games being console ports which were optimized for three or more cores. I believe they are going to use Ivy-bridge to extremely elongate lga1155's lifespan for the next seven years with GPU updates with most games more then likely being console ports. My speculation is Microsoft will continue with AMD and release a custom 7990 3GB XDR with Trinity connected to duel channel ddr3 4GB 2133mhz duel graphics mode.

Instead of waiting to build a ivybridge system with native pcie 3.0 the next best option is 3820.

I also want to use this computer for the kids as I have 3 children all girls; 5 yr old twins and a 6 year old. They will then all have computers to play their flash games they have been playing since 1 years old.

Thanks all for reviewing my thoughts on this matter.

Researching I found that the Corsair Ram was XMP1.2 and for only $17 more at

$100 16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsZ XMP1.3 9-9-9-24 built for x79

Quad Ram alone is overkill and so is 16GB no need for getting PC3-17000 or higher as price increase quite a bit after it and there isn't going to be a gaming performance gain with quad channel. Shogun 2 is one of few games that have a Minimum 4GB spec but I have played it on Vista 32bit at 3GB with crashes only once in a while. I would get 8GB but the price is too similar just not to double it to 16GB.

Researching I found that the Corsair Ram was XMP1.2 and for only $17 more at

$100 16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsZ XMP1.3 9-9-9-24 built for x79

Quad Ram alone is overkill and so is 16GB no need for getting PC3-17000 or higher as price increase quite a bit after it and there isn't going to be a gaming performance gain with quad channel. Shogun 2 is one of few games that have a Minimum 4GB spec but I have played it on Vista 32bit at 3GB with crashes only once in a while. I would get 8GB but the price is too similar just not to double it to 16GB.

I really do apologize for this question since I think you answered it before, but I just want to understand why you think X79 is the way to go? I am confused because you are going with the 3820, when you wouldn't notice a difference between that and an i7 2600K or the IB equivalent. IB will be cheaper and you can overclock it more than the SB-E to get better performance. IB will have a better PCI 3.0 controller (rumored) than X79. IB will also save you a ton of money and hassle with ram.

I just am not getting why you would you would buy such a system when IB is cheaper for a possibly better experience. (I say better experience because right now, the chip you have picked out is designed around a budget workstation, and is not meant for gamers)

I know you are probably getting frustrated with those sorts of questions, and I know it is a bit off topic, but I would really aprriciate it if you can answer that for me.

If the OP is not going to listen to anyone, might as well just go with the original build. Though my $700 system will still outperform it in BF3. :P

Then he'll upgrade his $2k system with another $2k, and I'll upgrade mine with $400, and I'll still probably beat it. :pfp:

If the OP is not going to listen to anyone, might as well just go with the original build. Though my $700 system will still outperform it in BF3. :P

Then he'll upgrade his $2k system with another $2k, and I'll upgrade mine with $400, and I'll still probably beat it. :pfp:

Capi, your the man! lol2.gif My point exactly.

Yeah, my thoughts were that if he went with a 1155 socket, that he could probably get a second video card. The X79 platform with the 3820 was intended to be a workstation for things like video editing, where the massive amounts of ram would help. But since games don't need any more than 8GB, the i7 2600K would be better for gaming since you can overclock it and get a much faster processor.

I think we all understand that.

The only reason why the X79 would be better is if he plans to go triple SLI with PCI 3.0 or if the IB-E chips will use the 2011 socket. Either way, the problem I am having isn't that the OP wants an X79 board, but rather the 3820. 4 cores with 8 threads, and you can't really overclock it a whole lot. The chip offers very little over the IB i7. In fact about all you get is quad channel memory. If I were spending the money I would at least get the 3930K. With that CPU, the gap between the i7 IB and the SB-E starts to become bigger. You get a fair performance increase, with 2 more cores and 4 more threads than the normal i7. At least something like that would have more of a reason to by such an expensive system.

I think we all know that with the current setup the OP has, he is spending close to an upwards of 200 dollars or more extra for quad channel memory and something that could support

IB-E. (((When I say "could" I mean that for the moment it is said that it will support IB-E, but I would not be surprised if Intel changes their mind)))

@ the OP:

Look, if you are just dead set on what you want to get, then get it. It is a great system that will last you a year or two if you are extremely lucky. I think by now you understand that the people including myself who are posting would either want to see a different CPU chip, or a different Mobo and chip. If there is anything I can do to convince you to go with the 1155 socket and ivy bridge, please let me know. :erm:

Yeah, my thoughts were that if he went with a 1155 socket, that he could probably get a second video card. The X79 platform with the 3820 was intended to be a workstation for things like video editing, where the massive amounts of ram would help. But since games don't need any more than 8GB, the i7 2600K would be better for gaming since you can overclock it and get a much faster processor.

I think we all understand that.

The only reason why the X79 would be better is if he plans to go triple SLI with PCI 3.0 or if the IB-E chips will use the 2011 socket. Either way, the problem I am having isn't that the OP wants an X79 board, but rather the 3820. 4 cores with 8 threads, and you can't really overclock it a whole lot. The chip offers very little over the IB i7. In fact about all you get is quad channel memory. If I were spending the money I would at least get the 3930K. With that CPU, the gap between the i7 IB and the SB-E starts to become bigger. You get a fair performance increase, with 2 more cores and 4 more threads than the normal i7. At least something like that would have more of a reason to by such an expensive system.

I think we all know that with the current setup the OP has, he is spending close to an upwards of 200 dollars or more extra for quad channel memory and something that could support

IB-E. (((When I say "could" I mean that for the moment it is said that it will support IB-E, but I would not be surprised if Intel changes their mind)))

@ the OP:

Look, if you are just dead set on what you want to get, then get it. It is a great system that will last you a year or two if you are extremely lucky. I think by now you understand that the people including myself who are posting would either want to see a different CPU chip, or a different Mobo and chip. If there is anything I can do to convince you to go with the 1155 socket and ivy bridge, please let me know. :erm:

I understand your points very clearly. 2600k is ~$300 and offers higher per core overclockabillity on 4 cores 8 threads 8mb cache so I think that it will last for more then five years especially with water cooling which I know most here are for as it is a OC forum. This is due to most games only using 4 threads max with some as shogun 2 using even more. Next gen consoles as the next x-box which most companies will be writing code for will be limited to 2mb core caches.

The 3820 scores significantly higher when it comes to physics benchmarks and newer modern games as BF3 with Frostbite 2.0 utillze this. But we need to reflect that GPUs are getting better at general computing and about three generations GPUs will be doing CPU processing so there will not be much need for a better processor for a long time once AMD completely figures this out within the next two years. 3930 with 2 more cores unlocked would just be a waste with 12 threads and the self need of getting a water-cooling option which I would in that case but stay within budget and getting one of the best monitors was a goal.

So if you take this build and subtract the monitor and extras it is around a ~$1400ish max system which is what a 2600k system would be without native PCI-e 3.0 and quad memory. If developers are going to stalemate CPU utilization in games around the performance of a 2600k because it is so popular with everyone else then getting slightly better just ensures that little bit of future compatibility that everyone here says doesn't exist which is true for crazy priced systems over $3k.

I do plan on video editing and recording while playing modern games around ultra and maybe be able to alt+tab from BF3 to D3 while running fraps to utilize that 16GB which I know is overkill as I have stated in a earlier post. Most I have heard used for gaming was 5.6 GB with BF3 ultra, voip and browser open.

I am sorry if I can't explain my views any more clearer. I actually had my GF decide for me between 2600k and 3820 because either way they each have their benifits.

Edited by 4th3truth

Games with the best physics are the ones I love the most. Destructible things are fun!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-test-benchmark,3090-5.html

Most impressive physics score for 3820 at stock speed.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/H/Z/318167/original/3dmark11%20physics.png

Ivy-bridge has integrated graphics something that is a waste of gates on the die for us who use a video card. It is tri-gate 3D transistor technology which I am not impressed with i7-3770k benchmarks of around "17% faster performance in 3DMark Vantage Performance Preset - CPU benchmark"

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,14144.html

However I did hear a rumor of ivy-OC to 6GHZ or crazy something because the wattage and tri-gate tech but again this a rumor and I feel it highly unlikely. AMD's Bulldozer and Ivy-bridge are going to unique separate ways and that is why current bench-marking programs are not working as well. I will explain.

AMD has been eating at Intel's profits largely in part to AMD's recent success in filling mid-range to very low end integrated cheap products. Intel is wants to be a competitor in the low range market where the 99% of the buying population that have not been screwed by the high frequency trading HTF's algorithms.

THE BANKERS WHO PRINT THE MONEY ARE THE REASON FOR YOUR VIEWS ON IVY BRIDGE. Few people these days can afford a high end system and settle for cheap A6-LLANO or A4 which I have two close family members just got computers for Christmas.

Most gamers are console gamers as well, and X360 beat PS3 due to Microsoft leaking DX10.1 tesselation units into the R500* chip and a 260GB/s small cache buffer for FXAA with almost no frame loss so they can render the games like BF3 and HALO3 at 540P resolution and upconvert to 1080P enabling other graphics features on. More money AMD made beating PS3 CELL and Nvida 7 card or whatever it was.

Once AMD reach fully general computing GPUs there will no longer be a need for any CPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU THINK INTEL SEES THAT AS A THREAT AND WANT TO INTEGRATE GPUS INTO CHIPS AS IVY BRIDGE TO COMPETE IN THE LOW END WAL-MART COMPUTER MY MOTHER-IN-LAW GOT FOR CHRISTMAS?!!?!?!

EDITED RANT OUT , JUST SILLYNESS :whistling:

Edited by 4th3truth