P10000 3D MARK11, OCed Budget X-79 $1500 build

4th3truth

I understand your points very clearly. 2600k is ~$300 and offers higher per core overclockabillity on 4 cores 8 threads 8mb cache so I think that it will last for more then five years especially with water cooling which I know most here are for as it is a OC forum. This is due to most games only using 4 threads max with some as shogun 2 using even more. Next gen consoles as the next x-box which most companies will be writing code for will be limited to 2mb core caches.

The 3820 scores significantly higher when it comes to physics benchmarks and newer modern games as BF3 with Frostbite 2.0 utillze this. But we need to reflect that GPUs are getting better at general computing and about three generations GPUs will be doing CPU processing so there will not be much need for a better processor for a long time once AMD completely figures this out within the next two years. 3930 with 2 more cores unlocked would just be a waste with 12 threads and the self need of getting a water-cooling option which I would in that case but stay within budget and getting one of the best monitors was a goal.

So if you take this build and subtract the monitor and extras it is around a ~$1400ish max system which is what a 2600k system would be without native PCI-e 3.0 and quad memory. If developers are going to stalemate CPU utilization in games around the performance of a 2600k because it is so popular with everyone else then getting slightly better just ensures that little bit of future compatibility that everyone here says doesn't exist which is true for crazy priced systems over $3k.

I do plan on video editing and recording while playing modern games around ultra and maybe be able to alt+tab from BF3 to D3 while running fraps to utilize that 16GB which I know is overkill as I have stated in a earlier post. Most I have heard used for gaming was 5.6 GB with BF3 ultra, voip and browser open.

I am sorry if I can't explain my views any more clearer. I actually had my GF decide for me between 2600k and 3820 because either way they each have their benifits.

You do realize we aren't suggesting that you go with the 2600K at all right? We are suggesting you with the 3770K which should be the IB equivalent to the 2600K.

That aside, I think I a starting to get a clearer picture of where you are coming from. I am even starting to agree with you in some areas, mainly in the fact that IB was pushed back........again. ((((((((to intel: STOP THE BULL .* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you say your CPU will come out in February then it should freaking come out in February. Make a deadline, and for the love of god STICK TO IT))))))) (I feel better now)

I feel as though it has come to a point where the new tech is now a little too far out in the future to consider. To save you time, I will put it to you simply. From what I have read, IB would be leaps and bounds better for you. Not because of the price, but because of the performance. For all the reasons you love the X79 stuff, they are glued on and multiplied to the new chips and mostly new chipsets. However, the problem is that they come out in March/April now. (((You know, if silicon valley were in china, we would have skymont by now and we wouldn't have to put up with this delay nonsense))). If you can wait for IB, I think you should because it is starting to look like it can outperform SB-E. If you can not wait then go with what you have. It is a good build.

You do realize we aren't suggesting that you go with the 2600K at all right? We are suggesting you with the 3770K which should be the IB equivalent to the 2600K.

That aside, I think I a starting to get a clearer picture of where you are coming from. I am even starting to agree with you in some areas, mainly in the fact that IB was pushed back........again. ((((((((to intel: STOP THE BULL .* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you say your CPU will come out in February then it should freaking come out in February. Make a deadline, and for the love of god STICK TO IT))))))) (I feel better now)

I feel as though it has come to a point where the new tech is now a little too far out in the future to consider. To save you time, I will put it to you simply. From what I have read, IB would be leaps and bounds better for you. Not because of the price, but because of the performance. For all the reasons you love the X79 stuff, they are glued on and multiplied to the new chips and mostly new chipsets. However, the problem is that they come out in March/April now. (((You know, if silicon valley were in china, we would have skymont by now and we wouldn't have to put up with this delay nonsense))). If you can wait for IB, I think you should because it is starting to look like it can outperform SB-E. If you can not wait then go with what you have. It is a good build.

I agree, If it was February I would wait but I am very very fed up with not being able to game atm. And whos to say that it isn't worth paying -$100 more the Z68 for a 79x-m with 2-pcie 3.0 for possible crossfire rather then be limited to 1 slot on the z68. And another -$30 for 4 sticks instead of 2 sticks of 2133 ram. So for $130 more get quad ram and multiple pcie 3.0. And I don't have to wait any longer. It would be nice to take that $130 and get a good CPU water cooler for a fully unlocked 3770 but I will wait and see in the coming weeks if any crazy overclocks are being able to be attained by IB.

Nyt's Upgrade Schedule

Long term components (update every 4-5 weeks):

CPU Cooling (also mid-term nowadays)

Power Supply

Monitor

HDD and SSD's (also mid-term nowadays)

Optical Drive

Case

Mid-term components (update every 2-3 weeks):

CPU

Motherboard

Memory

Short-term components (update every 1-2 weeks):

Graphics Cards

Note: These are for if you want to keep your system near the top-end. For most people, you don't need to update this often.

Fixed so I can remember them :lol:

Just a tid bit to add about choice of mobo over the slightly cheaper ASRock X79 EXTREME4-M.

3 pcie 3.0 is more then unnecessary due to case size, duel graphics cards, max 4 but that would require larger PSU too just for 2 highest end cards

32 GB limit is not as good as 64 even if I'm not ever going to use it in the most likely

South bridge chip fan is small loud and annoying and worried about it failing via dust or wear (i do not want to have to replace) with the ASrock

Has a newer integrated sound but is basically the same

The little fan is what strayed me away from the ASRock even though I have used this G41 and it has been good to me for years I won't be a returning customer :(

Updating your system that much when do you get to use it, it would seem it would be kinda of silly LOL. I know your not serious. lol

I can see you are quite new to OCC :) The other members know me and how much I have been upgrading :P

I can see you are quite new to OCC :) The other members know me and how much I have been upgrading :P

And we think you are silly :P but just wish we could upgrade as often as you. Here is hoping you parents cut off your money line soon :evilgrin: I want to see what happens when you need to fund 100% of, not just part of an upgrade.

32 GB limit is not as good as 64 even if I'm not ever going to use it in the most likely

I read on Maximum PC Mag that you could use the extra ram as a cache. If your going to spend the money on it then you might as well use it all.

I read on Maximum PC Mag that you could use the extra ram as a cache. If your going to spend the money on it then you might as well use it all.

Cache for a 550MB/s SSD? Probably would have little performance gain. Is this a certain mobo with this feature or software?