AMD vs. Intel

79 members have voted

1. 1. My primary system is based on a CPU by...

• AMD
    • Intel

I have an amd x6 1090t CPU @4.0 and an old HD5850 from gigabyte core at 910mhz. And to be honest it works just fine even if intel and nvidia systems for the money may bench slightly better my system runs visualStudio and BF3 just fine.

But I maybe switching to intel and haswell for my next build.

Just bought a cheap laptop with the AMD APU in it. Even though it is a quad core and can turbo up to 2.2 ghz, there is a definite lag when opening up applications. I exchanged it for the exact same model and price except with an i3 and it works beautifully. Intel all the way.

Thats cause you bought an E series. LOL

A Llano would have been a better choice than a i3.... Your graphics are far short and do not support DX11 too compared to HD6550. I run Intel systems and AMD so it is not like I promote AMD for no reason. All around the Llano is a much better choice over the i3's expecially with just evryday graphics(You Tube, photos even graphics on websites).

High end i7's with Gforce high end graphics are certainly better but $ per $ Llano would have been a better choice at that price level..

Edited by Drdeath

Thats cause you bought an E series. LOL

A Llano would have been a better choice than a i3.... Your graphics are far short and do not support DX11 too compared to HD6550. I run Intel systems and AMD so it is not like I promote AMD for no reason. All around the Llano is a much better choice over the i3's expecially with just evryday graphics(You Tube, photos even graphics on websites).

High end i7's with Gforce high end graphics are certainly better but $ per $ Llano would have been a better choice at that price level..

This was just like a down and dirty email, google, and word pc. I don't like gaming PCs that much. Anyways it was an A6 3400 APU. It was a Llano chip. I don't give a crap about DX11 since I will probably never use it on this laptop. I run both Intel and AMD systems so it is not like I promote Intel for no reason :P .

I mean this was like a 300 dollar laptop. It wasn't like I was getting a good APU or anything. I would actually say though that the graphics are exactly them same between the two laptops alone. The most CPU/GPU stressing thing I do on it would be using Adobe CS5. I am not saying that you are wrong in an everyday sense, but in my case there was no difference in GPU performance. I rely on my eyes for photo editing, so I checked, re-checked, and checked again before I decided that they were the same. Believe it or not (and I know this doesn't mean anything) but the intel GMA 3000 scores better on windows rating than the 6520 which is what the particular CPU had.

The problem I had was the CPU speed. Every time I would run anything, there were points where the laptop would choke. For instance, I tried opening up Microsoft word. With the APU laptop it took a second. With the Intel laptop it was instantaneous. On the AMD chip you could hear the fans ramp up to open up applications. Half of the page would come up, then the other. It was pretty laggy.

Now this could have just been a "me" problem. Maybe my experience is not the normal one. However, with the i3 laptop, I haven't had any trouble.

Four Intel, two AMD

I'm an equal opportunity complainer :)

Nice

I'm so dying to make a really bad joke here...

Duck,Panda might take a swing!

I cut my teeth with AMD but switched to Intel for good when the Core series chips came out.

Currently

10 Intel and 1 lone AMD just for testing

This was just like a down and dirty email, google, and word pc. I don't like gaming PCs that much. Anyways it was an A6 3400 APU. It was a Llano chip. I don't give a crap about DX11 since I will probably never use it on this laptop. I run both Intel and AMD systems so it is not like I promote Intel for no reason :P .

I mean this was like a 300 dollar laptop. It wasn't like I was getting a good APU or anything. I would actually say though that the graphics are exactly them same between the two laptops alone. The most CPU/GPU stressing thing I do on it would be using Adobe CS5. I am not saying that you are wrong in an everyday sense, but in my case there was no difference in GPU performance. I rely on my eyes for photo editing, so I checked, re-checked, and checked again before I decided that they were the same. Believe it or not (and I know this doesn't mean anything) but the intel GMA 3000 scores better on windows rating than the 6520 which is what the particular CPU had.

The problem I had was the CPU speed. Every time I would run anything, there were points where the laptop would choke. For instance, I tried opening up Microsoft word. With the APU laptop it took a second. With the Intel laptop it was instantaneous. On the AMD chip you could hear the fans ramp up to open up applications. Half of the page would come up, then the other. It was pretty laggy.

Now this could have just been a "me" problem. Maybe my experience is not the normal one. However, with the i3 laptop, I haven't had any trouble.

Thats why a 3400....... it only has 2 x 512Kb of L2 cache wheras the 3850 has 4 x 1M. You bought a low end Llano.it wasn't the CPU speed. Microsoft word is not CPU intensive. You could downclock the 3850 to 3400 frequency and be fine. If you rely on windows rating to look at a computer you need some education my friend.......

llano.jpg

Run some gaming benchmarks on the bottom of my database for 2 llano motherboards and see what the FPS on GMA 3000. This is stock speed no overclock, single HD on die HD6550

Edited by Drdeath

AMD here on both desktop and laptop (1090T, E-350). Desktop is AMD mainly because my last PC died before the i5 came out and I went with a Phenom II X3 (upgraded since then). I'm thinking about an HTPC and that will probably be Intel.