s1155 new pc

A friend is building a new pc.He already has an MSI 560ti and a 750w silverstone psu.

The new parts he wants to buy are : mobo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 , cpu i7 2600k and Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 Kit (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9).

Any suggestion and comment will be appriciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would avoid MSI motherboards like the plague. I review boards and they ard pretty much at the bottom of the major manufacturers plus I have seen litterally dozens with DOA or boards that fail rather quickly thru out the overclocking community. Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock are the top 3. MSI may be 4th but they do not come close to the quality of the 3 I listed.

Edited by Drdeath

Sounds like a solid build. THe board is very solid from my experience with it.

Not from my experience...

I would avoid MSI motherboards like the plague.

+1 I like MSI, but not for motherboards. At least not for AM3 or 1155 motherboards.

I would avoid MSI motherboards like the plague. I review boards and they ard pretty much at the bottom of the major manufacturers plus I have seen litterally dozens with DOA or boards that fail rather quickly thru out the overclocking community. Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock are the top 3. MSI may be 4th but they do not come close to the quality of the 3 I listed.

My friend's has been just dandy, offered so much more for the money and his is a relative lower model---- the P67A-G45

My friend's has been just dandy, offered so much more for the money and his is a relative lower model---- the P67A-G45

My point exactly. More for the money means cheap parts on the board namely capacitors. Many MSI boardz fail. The majority do not but MSI has a huge failure rate compared to the top 3 I listed. Saving $20 or $30 is not worth it. The Asus boards are wonderful and the have the best UEFI interface bios to date with much better power phase with Digi + VRM. Gigabyte and Asrock make outstanding boards but Asus is always 1 knotch ahead and the overclocking software is unmatched imo.

Edited by Drdeath

My point exactly. More for the money means cheap parts on the board namely capacitors. Many MSI boardz fail. The majority do not but MSI has a huge failure rate compared to the top 3 I listed. Saving $20 or $30 is not worth it. The Asus boards are wonderful and the have the best UEFI interface bios to date with much better power phase with Digi + VRM. Gigabyte and Asrock make outstanding boards but Asus is always 1 knotch ahead and the overclocking software is unmatched imo.

I haven't tried the newest ASUS boards, but thank GOD they have UEFI bioses now....I can't stand ASUS bioses, they all are extremely unfriendly. My old Gigabyte was awesome, my cousin's Biostar was easy, and the MSI I overclocked my friends with was easy (but it doesn't get a point because it's UEFI and they're all easy now lol). But other than that Idk, I've had exceptional luck with all motherboards I've used, wish my cousin's Biostar had more features but it cost me $55 and overclocked her $60 quad from 2.6ghz to 3.4ghz so I think it WELL redeemed itself!

The only brands I haven't used are EVGA (since whenever I was buying a board they were only supporting nvidia chipsets YUCK YUCK YUCK), JETWAY, ZOTAC, Foxconn, and probably a few others I may have missed...

But I've used ASUS boards (only RMA'd due to bios misflashes), Gigabyte boards (RMA'd my old P45 board due to my PSU being dead and I thought it was the motherboard, motherboard never actually died lol), AsRock just recently, MSI, Biostar, ECS (wasn't pleased with the front panel connection panel that I had to extensively research to hook up right but I blame the case it was in, not the board) and the Sapphire APU machine I have.

@OP: avoid MSI boards. Heard many complaints about the lifetime & build quality of MSI boards. Better option is to go with Asus, will cost a little bit more, but that's worth it. :thumbsup:

Hmm, so if i go with ASUS something like that would be good enough? Asus P8P67 EVO

Edited by Daemonarch

Hmm, so if i go with ASUS something like that would be good enough? Asus P8P67 EVO

How much is this motherboard?

- ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

Because it is the same price here in the states as the EVO and it will give you more options down the road - such as SRT, probably more love for BIOS updates down the line, stuff like that.

How much is this motherboard?

- ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

Because it is the same price here in the states as the EVO and it will give you more options down the road - such as SRT, probably more love for BIOS updates down the line, stuff like that.

About 145 euro for the Asus P8P67 EVO and 195 euro for P8Z68 which is kinda high for my budget.