Efficient Laptop Search

IVIYTH0S

http://www.newegg.co...gt+540m&x=0&y=0

Beep?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230132 Pretty much Identical to Tj's one but no BD-Rom(For the price difference get A writer :) ) and different cover... still got USB 3.0 though :)

Wait res is 768P

This for travel an all ya? Could use external display. Or buy a Full HD replacement screen...

Was that a Cyber Deal?

http://www.amazon.co...22519146&sr=8-3 $800 and AMD 900P if res is that big... could always get a HD3000 sick.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-P775-S7234-Processor-DVD-SuperMulti/dp/B0057E80JC/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1322519436&sr=8-26

Thanks for the recommendations!

I would seriously fight newegg for the price on the N series laptop. You just can't beat it.

I'll see if one comes back into stock

Damnnnn where you been at IVI! lol2.gif

I'd go with this if I were you!

How much is the budget?? teehee.gif

I'd stay with Sager if you got the cash, this a nice price, I love this website.

Oh hi! :wave:

The next step up Sager was decent after I configured it but I was able to configure a CyberPower laptop cheaper and better

I must say the same, what have you been doing ivi?

Nice find on the asus there and at a guess budget is $700

Busy with school/work/new gf. Nice to see you again my friend!

Where have you both been? We have already discussed that laptop. Infact the one where I said I win, is the same asus laptop except with an i7 for the same price. The reason the N series is a better choice is because it is more portable, better battery life, and has better audio. The N series was designed for rich people with rich tastes in tech. It shows through and through the asus N series and that is why that laptop would have been perfect for the price. Too bad I probably bought the last one :P .

I do want to bring something to your attention though. I have been buying nothing but Asus laptops and computer parts (when I can) and I got my mom the i7 version of the laptop. It is still the A53SV that she has. Now, with all my experience with asus, I have to say that the build quality feels a bit cheap. It isn't the Asus skimped on the quality, but rather they took the care to go with the best materials possible to make it affordable. Now some one like my mom who was using a laptop that is just over ten years old and she thought that one was fast, she wouldn't notice the feel. However, some one like you might. It is still an awesome laptop. No doubt about it, it crushes a lot of other laptops out there, but it is something you should think about before you spend 700 bucks.

Personally, I would wait for the N series to be back in stock and if they are WAY over prices, get the A53. However, I think it is something to prepare yourself for if you do get the laptop.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way saying that the A53 is bad WHAT SO EVER. I am merely saying that it is a LITTLE bit substandard of what I am used to seeing from Asus. The price however, definitely counteracts it. Please don't go posting angry comments.

The N53 is pretty beast and I will most likely go with that if it comes back into stock...

otherwise this CyberPower machine takes the cake!

Xplorer X6-9200 Gaming Notebook $751.00

Notebook: A15HC Gaming Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 1.3MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

Notebook Color: Xplorer X6 Gaming Notebook Cover

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Mobile Processor 2.40 GHz 3M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.00 GHz [-60]

Motherboard: Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard

Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand) {FREE Upgrade from 4GB)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe Video

Freebies: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon

Hard Drive: 750GB 5400RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+9]

Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-353-DVDRW)

Sound: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: Built-in Wireless b/g/n + Bluetooth v3.0 WiFi Combo Card

Speakers: Built-in Stereo Speakers System

Network: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card

Keyboard: Built-in Keyboard

Mouse: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD

External Wireless Network Card: Edimax EW-7811Un IEEE Nano 802.11n USB Wireless Adapter [FREE]

Bluetooth: None

Flash Media Reader/Writer: Built-In 3in1 Media Reader

Battery: 6-cells Li-Ion Battery Pack 4800mAh

AC Adapter: Universal AC-DC Adapter

Video Camera: Built-in 1.3 Mega Pixel Webcam

HDMI Output Port: Built-in HDMI Port

USB Port: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 2x USB3.0 Ports

Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY [-83]

Updated/Cleaned up first post!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asus G53JW is a fairly competent machine. Ugly as hell though, I'll try not be seen with it in public as much as I can.

Specs are as follows:

• LCD - 15,6" (FullHD, LED Glare type)

• Processor - Intel Core i5 460M 2.53GHz(Turbo up to 2.8GHz) -

• Graphics card - nVidia GeForce GTX 460M DDR5 1,5GB VRAM

• RAM memory - RAM 4096MB(2048x2) DDR3 1066

• HDD - Hybrid SSD 500G 7200 RPM (embedded 4G SSD)

• ODD - DVD Super Multi

• Web Camera Built - Yes, (2.0 mp)

• LAN - WLAN 802.11bgn

• OS - Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/best-laptop-brandmodel-non-gamer

So I am finally selling my Sager laptop because I hate can't stand it's battery life anymore!

I was originally looking at a Llano based machine because I know they're on par or better performance with better battery life than what I'm running which is all I ask for (gaming on a laptop isn't a selling point, but I wouldn't want any aspect of my new laptop weaker than my previous)

I currently have a Sager NP 2096:

Intel® Core™2 Duo P9500 (2.53GHz, 25W)

15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Glossy Widescreen LCD<----This is what I will miss most because they don't really make laptops with screens this good anymore, they're all that blasted 1366x768 in my price range :angry: (I hate the 16:9 movement!!)

nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT w/512MB

500GB 7,200RPM

4GB 1066mhz DDR2 Memory

Dual Layer SuperMulti 8x8x4x2.4x +/- DL DVD R/RW - 24x10x24 CD R/RW Drive

6 Cell Battery (ordering the 9cell for the family I'm selling it to)

Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Camera

MemoryStick/MemoryStick Pro and Secure Digital (SD/MMC) memory card reader

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100AGN

Built-in Bluetooth V2.0+EDR

Built in Biometric Fingerprint Reader

External USB Multi-Region HDTV Tuner w/Remote (Optional)

3 USB 2.0 Ports

Candidate 1:

Asus A53TA-XE2 $537.97

Very similar to the Acer but has the 6720G2 chip which beats out the 540M, but can fall back onto the 6620G when not gaming which will make for great battery life and still best in class gaming performance.

CPU: A6-3400M

GPU: 6620G+6650M= 6720G2

HDD: 500GB

RAM: 4GB

USB: 3

HDMI: Yep

Candidate 2:

Asus N53SV-B1 for $750 OUT OF STOCK

CPU: Core I5 2410M

GPU: GT540M

Resolution:1920x1080

HDD: 640GB

RAM:6GB

Drive: Bluray

USB: 4

Bluetooth: Yep

Candidate 3:

Xplorer X6-9200 Gaming Notebook $751.00

Notebook: A15HC Gaming Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 1.3MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

Notebook Color: Xplorer X6 Gaming Notebook Cover

CPU: Core I5 2430M

GPU: GT540M 2GB

Resolution:1920x1080

HDD: 750GB

RAM:8GB

Drive: DVD

USB: 4 (2 USB 3.0)

Bluetooth: No

Freebies: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon

Sound: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound

External Wireless Network Card: Edimax EW-7811Un IEEE Nano 802.11n USB Wireless Adapter [FREE]

All in all I want to spend no more than $700, and I'd prefer a ~15" in size so if anyone has any personal Llano or sandybridge family core i5 laptop experience first hand I'd love to hear it.

Asus G53JW is a fairly competent machine. Ugly as hell though, I'll try not be seen with it in public as much as I can.

Specs are as follows:

• LCD - 15,6" (FullHD, LED Glare type)

• Processor - Intel Core i5 460M 2.53GHz(Turbo up to 2.8GHz) -

• Graphics card - nVidia GeForce GTX 460M DDR5 1,5GB VRAM

• RAM memory - RAM 4096MB(2048x2) DDR3 1066

• HDD - Hybrid SSD 500G 7200 RPM (embedded 4G SSD)

• ODD - DVD Super Multi

• Web Camera Built - Yes, (2.0 mp)

• LAN - WLAN 802.11bgn

• OS - Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/best-laptop-brandmodel-non-gamer

I appreciate the recommendation...though that has outdated tech, and can't even be found in stock anywhere anymore (not to mention is priced much higher)

Just a little comparison.

If the N53 doesn't stay down when back in stock the timelineX may be something to consider. True is got a lower res screen and no blu-ray. But with such a small screen 768p aint so bad, the important thing is the 6 cell 6000mah battery aposed to what i beleive is at stock a 6-cell 4400mah battery although it's possibly their 5600mah one. Struggle to find a prober answer. However for around $80 I have seen 9-cell replacements for the n53 which bring it to 7200mah.

All this been said it put you out of you price range hence the other far cheaper laptop which has a slighlty smaller HDD and lower battery and ram.

However

CPU- Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz for all three

RAM- 4gb opposed to 6GB in the other two, not really an issue how ram intensive is the stuff you will do on a laptop, seriously?

Res- 1366 x 768 still good although 1080p does have its alure it is still only a 15" screen.

GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M for all three

HDD- 500GB opposed to 650GB in other two, not really a deal breaker

OP drive-DVD super multi 8x not the Blu-ray of the asus, do you need blu-ray?

USB- 1USB3.0 for all three and 2 USB 2.0 for this on and asus lappy, the other acer has 3 USB2.0

Battery- 6-cell 4400mah, not so good really

Price- $549 (enough to make me hate america with a passion same thing would cost me 200% more here in aus :glare:)

However for around $100 I have seen replacement 9-cell batteries that are 7800mah rated.

Say hi to the gf for me ;)

Just a little comparison.

If the N53 doesn't stay down when back in stock the timelineX may be something to consider. True is got a lower res screen and no blu-ray. But with such a small screen 768p aint so bad, the important thing is the 6 cell 6000mah battery aposed to what i beleive is at stock a 6-cell 4400mah battery although it's possibly their 5600mah one. Struggle to find a prober answer. However for around $80 I have seen 9-cell replacements for the n53 which bring it to 7200mah.

All this been said it put you out of you price range hence the other far cheaper laptop which has a slighlty smaller HDD and lower battery and ram.

However

CPU- Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz for all three

RAM- 4gb opposed to 6GB in the other two, not really an issue how ram intensive is the stuff you will do on a laptop, seriously?

Res- 1366 x 768 still good although 1080p does have its alure it is still only a 15" screen.

GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M for all three

HDD- 500GB opposed to 650GB in other two, not really a deal breaker

OP drive-DVD super multi 8x not the Blu-ray of the asus, do you need blu-ray?

USB- 1USB3.0 for all three and 2 USB 2.0 for this on and asus lappy, the other acer has 3 USB2.0

Battery- 6-cell 4400mah, not so good really

Price- $549 (enough to make me hate america with a passion same thing would cost me 200% more here in aus :glare:)

However for around $100 I have seen replacement 9-cell batteries that are 7800mah rated.

Say hi to the gf for me ;)

Good points but I cannot have resolution robbed from me, it's bad enough 16:10 is gone but I don't want to downgrade panels too. 1608x1050 --> 1366x768 is a noticeable loss in productivity, believe me, I use my gf's i3 1366x768 laptop all the time, it's annoying.

RAM isn't that important either as long as it's 4GB but the Cyber Power lappy had a free upgrade to double

HDD I can easily get by with 500GB as I'm managing just fine with plenty of space to spare on my 500GB now

I had looked into the 9cell batts for the N53 and they're actually cheaper than the A53 batteries, so that's be something I'd consider if I got that, the Xplorer would hopefully share the same battery as another popular company (like how my Sager uses Acer batteries) so that I could score em cheaper on ebay or elsewhere.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Wow you got all that for a good price! thumbsup3.gif

It's me, what do you expect?? :P

I don't think I'll miss the Bluray drive all that much and hopefully the "3D Speakers" are comparable to the highly regarded set on the Asus laptop.

Then again, for $1 more, I'm going to enjoy the 2 extra GB of RAM, the extra 110GB of harddrive space, the extra 1GB of dedicated Vram and small bump in CPU core frequency!

Benchies or something when you receive it :)

Sure thing!! Let me know which you'd like to see!!