Efficient Laptop Search

IVIYTH0S

So I am finally selling my Sager laptop because I hate can't stand it's battery life anymore!

I was originally looking at a Llano based machine because I know they're on par or better performance with better battery life than what I'm running which is all I ask for (gaming on a laptop isn't a selling point, but I wouldn't want any aspect of my new laptop weaker than my previous)

I currently have a Sager NP 2096:

Intel® Core™2 Duo P9500 (2.53GHz, 25W)

15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Glossy Widescreen LCD<----This is what I will miss most because they don't really make laptops with screens this good anymore, they're all that blasted 1366x768 in my price range :angry: (I hate the 16:9 movement!!)

nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT w/512MB

500GB 7,200RPM

4GB 1066mhz DDR2 Memory

Dual Layer SuperMulti 8x8x4x2.4x +/- DL DVD R/RW - 24x10x24 CD R/RW Drive

6 Cell Battery (ordering the 9cell for the family I'm selling it to)

Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Camera

MemoryStick/MemoryStick Pro and Secure Digital (SD/MMC) memory card reader

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100AGN

Built-in Bluetooth V2.0+EDR

Built in Biometric Fingerprint Reader

External USB Multi-Region HDTV Tuner w/Remote (Optional)

3 USB 2.0 Ports

Candidate 1:

Asus A53TA-XE2 $537.97

Very similar to the Acer but has the 6720G2 chip which beats out the 540M, but can fall back onto the 6620G when not gaming which will make for great battery life and still best in class gaming performance.

CPU: A6-3400M

GPU: 6620G+6650M= 6720G2

HDD: 500GB

RAM: 4GB

USB: 3

HDMI: Yep

Candidate 2:

Asus N53SV-B1 for $750 OUT OF STOCK

CPU: Core I5 2410M

GPU: GT540M

Resolution:1920x1080

HDD: 640GB

RAM:6GB

Drive: Bluray

USB: 4

Bluetooth: Yep

Candidate 3: PURCHASED!

Xplorer X6-9200 Gaming Notebook $751.00

Notebook: A15HC Gaming Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 1.3MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

Notebook Color: Xplorer X6 Gaming Notebook Cover

CPU: Core I5 2430M

GPU: GT540M 2GB

HDD: 750GB

RAM:8GB

Drive: DVD

USB: 4 (2 USB 3.0)

Bluetooth: yep

Freebies: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon

Sound: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound

All in all I want to spend no more than $700, and I'd prefer a ~15" in size so if anyone has any personal Llano or sandybridge family core i5 laptop experience first hand I'd love to hear it.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New contender!!

Asus A53TA-XE2 $537.97

Very similar to the Acer but has the 6720G2 chip which beats out the 540M, but can fall back onto the 6620G when not gaming which will make for great battery life and still best in class gaming performance.

or I could go $170 over budget for the laptop of my dreams

My mouth is watering for the Asus N53SV-B1 for $870

CPU: Core I5 2410M

GPU: GT540M

HDD: 640GB

RAM:6GB

Drive: Bluray

USB: 4

Bluetooth: Yep

I just don't know what to get!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

New contender!!

Asus A53TA-XE2 $537.97

I just don't know what to get!

I would say this one, then invest in an SSD to- one increase battery life, two decrease the heat output and three increase performance even further.

I would say this one, then invest in an SSD to- one increase battery life, two decrease the heat output and three increase performance even further.

Yeah I would have done that with the Asus I recommended. I got my mom the same laptop, and the battery life is about 5 hours.....so I don't know what you are looking for there. Don't go with the AMD stuff. It is just plain flat out bad.

If you are looking for something light and long battery life, there is the Asus U series. This is the one I have and am currently one right now. I bought mine for 450 because of a best buy customer service error in my favor. I put 8gb of ram and a vertex 3 max iops in the thing and now I am screaming fast. I was able to do it all for the same price as that N series machine. The only draw back is it doesn't have a dedicated video card. However let me say this, I am more of a photographer than anything else. I started building computers for faster photo editing. I needed a laptop that was light with long battery life and could run Adobe CS5 for a few hours on a single charge. Not only is it light, but with the original HDD it ran CS5 for 3 hours straight with a giant batch process. With my SSD in, I can run it all day. Not to mention that it is so light that I can carry it around D.C. with all my camera gear and not have it slow me down.

What ever it doesn't make up in a graphics card, it makes up in sexiness. This thing is beautiful. I know you can really see it on the web site because best buy I think collectively has an inoperable brain tumor right on the hemisphere that has to do with decision making. They keyboard is a good layout with a full backspace key. The button remind me of the Imac keyboard, and there is no shortage of funtion and control keys.

I can tell you for abosulte certainty that this computer can not play MW3 or even MW1, but it will get the job done. I think it is more of a working laptop than a replacement for a gaming console, but believe me, this laptop does NOT disappoint. Asus got this one right!

I did look at that one....though the secret to it's battery life is due to it's bigger stock battery (8 cell), I could just get a 9cell for the N53 for cheaper and get an even better experience. The intel HD turds would be a step back from what I have, and I want to at least break even in all aspects of my computer

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Well the GT540 is meant to be equivalent to a 5650 or slightly better as it is newer... can you use the 6650M separately? The crossfire thing might degrade performance due to lack of optimisation?

I think you can turn the hybrid crossfire off...but I'm pretty sure I'm going for the N53SV-B1....it just dropped $200 over night on Newegg so it's $0.01 under my max budget and has the best components in the line up, and with the nvidia optimus tech it will still get great battery life

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230077

I think you can turn the hybrid crossfire off...but I'm pretty sure I'm going for the N53SV-B1....it just dropped $200 over night on Newegg so it's $0.01 under my max budget and has the best components in the line up, and with the nvidia optimus tech it will still get great battery life

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230077

If only I could buy that at that price :( It's got Bluray too :) The screen res is a bit high for the GPU though... but still no USB 3.0.... sodding cheap manufacturers... wow it does from 'Details'... thanks for making me cry :lol:

Edited by Dan The Gamer

If only I could buy that at that price :( It's got Bluray too :) The screen res is a bit high for the GPU though... but still no USB 3.0.... sodding cheap manufacturers... wow it does from 'Details'... thanks for making me cry :lol:

It has USB 3.0, just one port but I don't have anything that uses that yet anyway but the 4 ports will be helpful. I don't need the massive resolution for gaming but going from 1680x1050 to 1366x768 is a pretty annoying loss in productivity. I'd have to lower the resolution when I game but for everything else the added resolution will be a sound bump in productivity :)

I'm debating sending to my grandma's house in Pennsylvania to save $50 lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S