New i5 2500k up and running

I just put the new rig together last night, I'm about to reformat my hdd. I noticed the cpu core temps are never the same.

Core 0: 40

Core 1: 38

Core 2: 35

Core 3: 33

Is that normal for Intel chips? My Phenom use to have almost identical temps across all 4 cores.

Alright, good. Another question for you... Is it also normal for the temps to go up over 95^c when I run a CPU stress test using the Intel Extreme Tune Utility? It gets hot fast and cools down just as fast. As soon as it hits 3.3ghz the temps skyrocket up to the high 70s and up.

Alright, good. Another question for you... Is it also normal for the temps to go up over 95^c when I run a CPU stress test using the Intel Extreme Tune Utility? It gets hot fast and cools down just as fast. As soon as it hits 3.3ghz the temps skyrocket up to the high 70s and up.

What cooler you using? I would check to make sure it's seated correctly.

What cooler you using? I would check to make sure it's seated correctly.

The stock Intel cooler. It's a pain in the butt getting all 4 of the latches to stay. I thought I had it, maybe not.

I just rechecked the 4 latches, one popped off without me really touching it, so I reattached it and reran the stress test. Temperatures reached 76^c and pretty much stopped there. Is that more like what I should expect with the stock HSF?

Edited by tbris84

The stock intel cooler isn't a cooler :/ Get somethign decent if you don't want it to throttle your cpu.

10-4, I didn't think it would be that bad. I'll order something tomorrow from Newegg with my BDROM.

Alright, good. Another question for you... Is it also normal for the temps to go up over 95^c when I run a CPU stress test using the Intel Extreme Tune Utility?

Is that at stock clocks and voltages? Maybe that's a moot question........... 95C is too hot regardless. Need to check your thermal paste application, heatsink mounting and retention, fan speed etc.

Something isn't right.

Better yet junk the stock cooler and replace with Hyper 212+ if you're on a budget.

I ran a stock cooler on my 2500K and using Intel Burntest (LinX) it would go over 80*C. No overclock. Just flat out heats that CPU up.

Under normal conditions (heavy multitasking, gaming, and even Prime95) it would always stay below 70*C.

The stock cooler does suck, but I think its fine unless you plan to overclock. I used a stock for months before upgrading, and never had any stability issues.

EDIT*** Lucky beat me to it. :withstupid:

The stock intel cooler isn't a cooler :/ Get somethign decent if you don't want it to throttle your cpu.

I'm running the stock cooler on my 2500k (new cooler on its way), and I'm at 4.2ghz, 1.30v. My max temps under load with prime95 is about 70-72C with an ambient room temp of 18-20C. Unless its hot in your room, or you have poor case ventilation, then you should be "OK" with the stock cooler at stock settings.

Disable the PWM control for the cpu fan in your bios. Set it to 100% if you haven't already. This will drop temps a few degrees. The stock fan at full speed is inaudible, so there is no reason not to leave it run at 100% all the time.

As far as the intel extreme utility, there is no real world situation that will heat your cpu up that much. Running prime95 for about 30 minutes will give you a more realistic max temp.