ALMOST fried gpu

Brutality

So I've had my XFX 5870 for 1½ years and for the last year the fan has been "complaining" but it never helped cleaning etc. But the temps were always fine so I didn't worry about that (not even sure if this is the case, but just saying everything my card has gone through...)

But lately (for about a week) the temps had started getting high in games and when folding on it (86*C) and it all ended in last night where I luckily was at the computer when I suddenly heard the fan go 100% (jet motor vroom vroom lol), but the temps kept rising (I was folding)... suddenly the temps hit 90*C (went from 85-90 in a split second) and with my ninja skills I dropped what I had in my hands and thrusted towards the mouse and hit the red cross... The temps had hit 92*C... but it survived (I can't deny it may have taken damage, since I heard 89*C+ isn't good)

Since I haven't dared opening a game or even considered executing GPU folding...

What the hell happened? How can the temps go nuts with a fan running at 100%.. it's usually keeping the temps at 80*C with 35-40% fans...

I looked in EventViewer and the FAHlog but found nothing...

Edited by Brutality

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You prob didn't really almost fry your card. Running a 5870 with temps of 90-95C, while not ideal, prob won't damage the card. Now, I'm not sure where they would have gone if you hadn't shut it down, so that was def a good move! I know you said that cleaning hasn't ever helped with the fan "complaining" which I will assume means it is making more noise than you would like, but cleaning does help with temps! The more dust you get in your card the hotter it will run! So my 1st question would be when was the last time you took the card apart and properly cleaned it? If it has been awhile, then the card may benefit greatly from a thorough cleaning :thumbsup:

You prob didn't really almost fry your card. Running a 5870 with temps of 90-95C, while not ideal, prob won't damage the card. Now, I'm not sure where they would have gone if you hadn't shut it down, so that was def a good move! I know you said that cleaning hasn't ever helped with the fan "complaining" which I will assume means it is making more noise than you would like, but cleaning does help with temps! The more dust you get in your card the hotter it will run! So my 1st question would be when was the last time you took the card apart and properly cleaned it? If it has been awhile, then the card may benefit greatly from a thorough cleaning :thumbsup:

:withstupid:

Clean the dust out of it, it can make a massive difference :thumbsup:

I've never taken the card apart, I've only cleaned the fan and the case.

I thought it was glued on or something

That would be your problem then :P

The fan and heatsink are held onto the pcb with a lot of very small screws, just find a really small screwdriver and undo these to remove the cover and heatsink. Once you've done that just blow out all the dust from the heatsink and put it back together.

That would be your problem then :P

The fan and heatsink are held onto the pcb with a lot of very small screws, just find a really small screwdriver and undo these to remove the cover and heatsink. Once you've done that just blow out all the dust from the heatsink and put it back together.

Don't I need to reapply some new TIM if I remove the heatsink?

BTW: I don't think I can RMA because I've forgotten where I bought it and haven't got the receipt either... I need that to RMA right? or can I just send it to XFX?

Edited by Brutality

BTW: I don't think I can RMA because I've forgotten where I bought it and haven't got the receipt either... I need that to RMA right? or can I just send it to XFX?

I echo all that has been said, keep running it if it's stable. The card will automatically throttle if it is indeed getting too hot.

Contact XFX and give them your serial number and see how much longer your warranty is and how an RMA works with them and to where you'd be sending it.

The standard cards usually use pads instead of tim so you should be fine, I would say try cleaning it out to see if it makes a difference before looking into an rma.

The standard cards usually use pads instead of tim so you should be fine, I would say try cleaning it out to see if it makes a difference before looking into an rma.

Hehe, 92? I got my X1950Pro to 101oC and also it blue screened with colourful artifacts on the blue screen, I was told on this forum that is the memory almost going.. eek! (oh and the 101 was a separate event, I was too busy blue screening the other time to check the temp but one can assume it was similar or even higher).