Would I benefit from a CPU cooler?

Hi there

It's now been a whopping 4 months since I initially ordered the first few components to build my first computer, and next week will be when I order the final few things I need in order to finish it. In the run up to next week, I've been looking into coolers...

I have an i3-2100 CPU, which I've read can't be overclocked anyway. With that in mind, would I still be better off getting a third party cooler anyway? I really just want to ensure that I'm going to be running a reasonably cool system at all times, and really the 2 coolers I had my eye on don't cost all that much:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 +

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro

If I were to get any cooler at all, I only have a couple of concerns. First off, I have Corsair Vengeance RAM, which is... kind of huge. Are either of those 2 coolers likely to allow me enough space to still have the Vengeance memory? If not, is there any performance difference between plain old regular Vengeance and low profile?

Also, I was reading a review on the Freezer 13 Pro, and apparently not using a backing plate means that the weight of the cooler is quite a strain on the CPU socket. Is this the case?

Thankyou for any help.

:withstupid:

You'll get a lower processor temperature from an after market cooler but if you're not overclocking then there's little point in my opinion. The stock cooler you get with your processor is deemed sufficient by the manufacturer to keep your processor as cool as it needs to be over its expected lifetime so it shouldn't be problem. I don't know your system specification but one or two extra case fans could be of more benefit in the long run?

You'll get a lower processor temperature from an after market cooler but if you're not overclocking then there's little point in my opinion. The stock cooler you get with your processor is deemed sufficient by the manufacturer to keep your processor as cool as it needs to be over its expected lifetime so it shouldn't be problem. I don't know your system specification but one or two extra case fans could be of more benefit in the long run?

System spec right now is:

Core i3-2100

XFX 650w

MSI 460GTX Hawk

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB

*probably* a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3

and my case is a HAF 922, so airflow is already going to be great assuming I tidy things up well enough once I'm finished.

I'm not exactly going to be heavily taxing my system constantly, but I'll be doing a lot of gaming on it so obviously I just want to keep things as cool as possible.

Anybody have any ideas about the clearance issue I brought up? Also the weight in the case of the Freezer 13? :doh:

The Ram is 52.5mm high so clearance would may be an issue for the RAM slots closest to the CPU socket. The Hyper 212 only has 37mm clearance underneath it. Potentially you can put the ram in the other slots or that particular mobo may have a enough space betweenthe socket and the ram that it wont be a major issue.

I would consider the option of low pro version of the ram or getting a all in one water kit like H50.

Someone who has had a similar setup may be able to comment with more certanty.

I'm not to shure about jour mobo layout but the hyper 212+ is a very compact cooler compared to the others so I realy dought that it would stick out over jour ram at all. As for the freezer 3 it also seems to be a very compact coole but only in one direction ( fan blowing to the back of the case) so in terms of clearence you shouldent have any iddues with either of them.

But when in dought :google:

Apart from being cooler it should also be quieter. Both outcomes worth the effort in my opinon particluarly as the 212+ is inexpensive and a decent performer.

:withstupid: it is nice to be in a room with a computer where you can still here yourself think even at full load.

212 sounds like a winner

if you are upgrading the cpu to an i5 2500k or something else (overclockable) down the line it might be worth it, but you can always do it then. stock coolers are really good enough if you are not overclocking though, especially since that is a dualcore i cant see it hit even 50W max load so it wont get very hot.