Future of Graphics

tkrow21

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice they talk about how much detail they have but they never mention the memory requirements or anything else even vaguely technical about it.

Lots of atoms == lots of memory == more memory with more models == limited detail.

See what I did there? :lol:

At the bottom of the "What is it?" page:

Unlimited Detail is basically a point cloud search algorithm. We can build enormous worlds with huge numbers of points, then compress them down to be very small. The Unlimited Detail engine works out which direction the camera is facing and then searches the data to find only the points it needs to put on the screen it doesn’t touch any unneeded points, all it wants is 1024*768 (if that is our resolution) points, one for each pixel of the screen.

Thanks for the link, Waco! Best part is, that means I have been remembering correctly.

Any how, while I'm unsure of the memory requirements, I would think this would take a lot of processing to accomplish a reasonable FPS, so I still think your point is valid.

They think they've got something, but until it's released we won't know. (I wonder if it can handle stereoscopic viewing well? Would it just double the work load?) Personally, I'm more curious about if we will ever see video cards without the DirectX stuff and such on them. I remember reading something awhile ago on how some were proposing doing away with that baked in encoding so developers could get direct access to the hardware and be that much more efficient. Wish I could remember where I read about that.

Guys, you do know that there have been video games built on voxels before right? even in the 90's

BTW: to say that it's 512 PB is kind of stupid for notch to say. not every object is unique in that world, so it might be processing a large amount of data, but the memory footprint will be relatively small.

Edited by CowKing

Guys, you do know that there have been video games built on voxels before right? even in the 90's

BTW: to say that it's 512 PB is kind of stupid for notch to say. not every object is unique in that world, so it might be processing a large amount of data, but the memory footprint will be relatively small.

The point is that if they are pushing realism they'll need a LOT more models. And, based on the current design, you'd need a new model for every frame of animation for every object.

It was a scam a year ago and it's a scam now.

Edited by Waco