Future of Graphics

tkrow21

It's basically an atom-based system instead of using polygons in our games.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One cubic meter of dirt = more polygons than a modern game :D

However I wonder what kind of hardware it will take to run a game on this. They said 24 FPS on their software, but they have others that run higher.

Edited by Krazyxazn

One grain of dirt = more polygons than a modern game :D

However I wonder what kind of hardware it will take to run a game on this.

That's my general concern, and I'm wondering what kind of crazy optimization they're doing if they have 20+ fps on their build.

I remember hearing about that tech the first time it was talked about. I also seem to recall two other things. Part of the reason the system works as well as it does is because the system will only render what is being viewed. That was a point they were trying to make with how polygons have to be rendered even where you can't see them, but their system doesn't have that additional load. The other part I think I remember hearing was that it isn't compatible with current hardware. You would need an entirely new GPU to use this tech because it doesn't have the capability to understand the instructions (like how DX11 won't run on an older GT7800 or something). I think that's why the guy says, "20 frames a second in software," because the hardware doesn't exist. Although, that makes it more impressive as there is no hardware acceleration.

Of course, that's just what I am remembering from awhile ago, so I could easily be misremembering. Still interesting though.