Diablo 3 Requires Constant Internet Connection

edwardquilo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blizzard: We have this new cool system called Battle.Net 2.0, give it a try.

Community: No!

Blizzard: To play our game you have to be online and to play online you have to use Battle.net 2.0 (success!)

Community: :cry:

Me: :withstupid:

-skip forward to D3 release day-

Me: Yay, I have my copy of Diablo 3!

Edited for future accuracy

and to be honest Clay, that is true in my case as well.

I'm pretty sure I'll snatch D3 up and play it as I don't ever foresee myself personally not having internet but there are people who will get screwed over by this.

I'll def snatch it up if I have spare cash. I added all these WoW buddies to Blizzard Real ID, but I don't have any active Battle.Net 2.0 games to even talk to them anymore :D Don't want to spend full price for SC2, they still haven't dropped its price enough.

I've only just moved to the city with a decent internet connection, but the small town I moved from had really, really bad internet. I tried playing D2 online and it was not a happy experience. The game would pause, then catch up in hyper-speed and suddenly I'm dead. Not to mention my internet would die quite often. If it wasn't for offline games, I probably would have quit gaming. I have a good connection now, but there are quite a chunk of people that have the same quality of connection that I had before. Some places you can only get satellite, which is absolutely pointless to try gaming on.

Another thing. I got Starcraft 2 and play it very infrequently. It seems every time I do go to play it there's a massive patch that I have to download in order to even start the game in single player mode. Then, I have to log in, wait for the server to respond, and then finally the mess of a GUI pops up that I probably would have no problem navigating if I played all the time, but even starting a game annoys me as there's so much unnecessary crap to sift through. The original Starcraft didn't have long patches or a cluttered front-end. However, the saving point was that I could play Starcraft II offline so my crappy internet connection didn't affect the game too much.

I don't know. I really do think the big reason they are doing this is for piracy, but is it worth . off your customers? I guess so, because all the game publishers are going nuts with DRM. I refuse to buy any UBISOFT games due to them being the worst for DRM. There's been a few games that I've been excited over the trailers and then I see the UBISOFT logo, and, well, it's just a sinking feeling.

It almost turned me to console gaming, but then I tried a few games on the 360, and wow, the graphics were terrible, no anti-aliasing and low res textures. FPS type games were out of the question as aiming with a thumb-stick makes me feel like I'm the "special" marine who has the helmet on not because I'm a soldier, but rather because I might fall down and hit my head. Auto-aim FTW. So yeah, console gaming was not for me.

I'm not giving up hope for PC gaming yet, but crap like this doesn't make me happy. I'm still buying Diablo 3 when it comes out, though. A non-console-port, that's a huge reason to get it. I'll probably check out Hard Reset, also.

Sorry that my post was all over the place, but I think it sums it all up for me.

Another thing. I got Starcraft 2 and play it very infrequently. It seems every time I do go to play it there's a massive patch that I have to download in order to even start the game in single player mode. Then, I have to log in, wait for the server to respond, and then finally the mess of a GUI pops up that I probably would have no problem navigating if I played all the time, but even starting a game annoys me as there's so much unnecessary crap to sift through.

That is a very good point as well, what if I want to play a previous release of a game, before a specific patch came out? Can't do it.

Not to mention, I game incredibly randomly, I jump around between games all the time. I'm a binge gamer, I'll play one game for a week straight and then be sick of it and move to another, if every game needed a huge update just to play it I would be pissed.

That is unless they did it in the background like a lot of Steam games do, those re updated fairly frequently but the process seems fairly streamlined.

I don't want everyone NOT using the Steam platform to have their own background services, I'd be updating things constantly.

I'm on a 3M connection, I can't have 40 games updating themselves whenever they want, especially since it's a shared connection.

(and to be fair, Steam is faaaaar from perfect, why have they not added in options to cap your DL speed yet?)

Oh well, we'll see what the future of gaming holds.

:dunno:

I'll def snatch it up if I have spare cash. I added all these WoW buddies to Blizzard Real ID, but I don't have any active Battle.Net 2.0 games to even talk to them anymore :D Don't want to spend full price for SC2, they still haven't dropped its price enough.

I don't think you'll see any official price drop for SC2 until HotS is released, and even then, who knows. It's well worth full price though. The single player campaign alone is great and I thoroughly enjoyed all the little details, like the armory and such.

I don't think you'll see any official price drop for SC2 until HotS is released, and even then, who knows. It's well worth full price though. The single player campaign alone is great and I thoroughly enjoyed all the little details, like the armory and such.

:withstupid:

One of the few games that is EASILY worth the full price.

I don't foresee any official price drop. The original StarCraft is still being sold and taking up store shelf space. Though SC2 is for sale at the moment - $50 at Amazon.

Edited by Fogel

I just installed it for the first time, and the menus and everything are amazing. Too bad this old laptop can't run it very well, even on low settings and 1024 resolution. *sigh* Need my Dell refund so I can build my new PC soon!

I just installed it for the first time, and the menus and everything are amazing. Too bad this old laptop can't run it very well, even on low settings and 1024 resolution. *sigh* Need my Dell refund so I can build my new PC soon!

How old of a laptop? I play it on my 3.5 year old laptop when I'm over my friend's house. I had been playing at medium/high settings, but my laptop (and the power brick) was getting so freaking hot, I recently dropped a few settings down to low since I always play custom games with my friend anyway, like Vexal Tower Defense. My laptop is 1440x900. It's a pretty beefy laptop though - 4GB RAM and HD 3450 GPU.

How old of a laptop? I play it on my 3.5 year old laptop when I'm over my friend's house. I had been playing at medium/high settings, but my laptop (and the power brick) was getting so freaking hot, I recently dropped a few settings down to low since I always play custom games with my friend anyway, like Vexal Tower Defense. My laptop is 1440x900. It's a pretty beefy laptop though - 4GB RAM and HD 3450 GPU.

Yea I actually did some tweaking. Overclocked my GPU again and installed custom drivers instead of the newest from Nvidia. At 1440x900 and most settings on medium, the gameplay is smooooooth. So happy. Didn't realize how bad the new Nvidia drivers were compared to some from last year/2 years ago.

Yea I actually did some tweaking. Overclocked my GPU again and installed custom drivers instead of the newest from Nvidia. At 1440x900 and most settings on medium, the gameplay is smooooooth. So happy. Didn't realize how bad the new Nvidia drivers were compared to some from last year/2 years ago.

Nice!

The other really cool thing about SC2 is how detailed the video options settings are. They not only tell you what component is most important (CPU vs. GPU), but also tells you exactly what you'll be missing/adding by selecting a particular option. It makes it very convenient for people with mid to lowend systems as you can easily tell what you can live without.