Need a little more framerate from 4870.

What frame rates are you running? Anything over your refresh rate of your monitor is useless. If your monitor runs 75 on your refresh rate and your running 90fps, I would not bother but if your running 40, overclocking will help. You could run 1000fps but if your monitor runs 75, that's as fast as it will go. FYI.

Isn't this only true with vsync turned on?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What frame rates are you running? Anything over your refresh rate of your monitor is useless. If your monitor runs 75 on your refresh rate and your running 90fps, I would not bother but if your running 40, overclocking will help. You could run 1000fps but if your monitor runs 75, that's as fast as it will go. FYI.

I am running 60hz refresh rate on Farcry 2 and I get around 30-35 average FPS with ultra settings and 4x AA, 1920x1080. That is with 800mhz core(stock is 750) and 925 mhz(stock is 900) memory speed. I think is actually pretty good performance for old this card is. I am gonna try 825 core clock and 950 mem and see how stable it is....

Edited by AllYourF0rt

Increase on core speed if your CPU would work too.

What do you mean? So I tried the 825 core and 950 mem and I started getting screen flickering so I went back to card defaults. I'm not gonna take the risk of burning this card up. Mythos was right when he said his didn't oc well.

What do you mean? So I tried the 825 core and 950 mem and I started getting screen flickering so I went back to card defaults. I'm not gonna take the risk of burning this card up. Mythos was right when he said his didn't oc well.

He means overclock your CPU as well

Your probably pushed the memory too far, put the memory back to 925, then the core up to 825 and see what it does. 4870's in general had pretty bad memory overclocking potential.

Use HWmonitor or something to watch the temps of the card, you should be able to find the max safe temp on AMD's website. Just make sure you stay 10c~ish below the max safe and your card will be fine.

He means overclock your CPU as well

The only overclocking I've done on this cpu is just raising the multi to like 15x and I think I got 3.0ghz. However, I didn't raise vcore or anything and I don't know what values I should be shooting for. Is there an X2 7850 overclocking table with established values that I might reference? It would be nice to get to 3.4 or 3.5 on this processor before I can upgrade in a month or so (probably a 940 X4). Like I said I have limited experience overclocking and I don't wanna burn my chip cause this is my main gaming computer heheh thanks.

The only overclocking I've done on this cpu is just raising the multi to like 15x and I think I got 3.0ghz. However, I didn't raise vcore or anything and I don't know what values I should be shooting for. Is there an X2 7850 overclocking table with established values that I might reference? It would be nice to get to 3.4 or 3.5 on this processor before I can upgrade in a month or so (probably a 940 X4). Like I said I have limited experience overclocking and I don't wanna burn my chip cause this is my main gaming computer heheh thanks.

You should be able to get your 7850 to 3.4GHz, just bumping up your multi some more. When I had my 7750, I OCed it easily to 3.4GHz, but I do not remember the exact settings I used as it was about 2-3yrs ago. What I would do is use AMD overdrive and just bump the multi in increments of 1 each time, then stress the cpu, and just like Death said as long as your cpu temps are under 60C, then you are good. If you get to a point where you bump your multi and you BSOD, then you need to bump the vcore also. I would bump the vcore in .25 increments, until you find a stable OC with the multi and vcore. Every cpu OCs different, and even if you did find a 7850 OCing table online, it may or may not work for your 7850! OCing is really a trial-and-error process, and if you really want to maximize your cpu's OCing potential, then it will take some time to find the best settings!

Now, if you want to cheat a little and see if you can hit 3.4GHz, just set your multi to whatever setting = 3.4GHz, stress your cpu, and keep a close eye on the temps! If it stays under 60C, then your good. But, if it starts exceeding 60C, then just shut the stress test down immediately. You won't burn up your cpu if you go over the max temp for only a few seconds, and I believe your max temp on that cpu is actually 62C, but using 60C is a little safer ;) If you BSOD, then just start bumping your vcore up and repeating everything.

But, once you find the best OC settings, then you will want to use those in BIOS, instead of using AMD Overdrive to OC. AMD Overdrive is just a quick way to find the settings :thumbsup:

Yeah I have the multi on 15x right now 3.0ghz and it's stable I tried bumping it up to16x 3.2ghz and when I restarted and got to the desktop the screen glitched and restarted. I'll try increasing the vcore by .25 but I think my BIOS only does .5 increments. Are there any BIOS features I should disable such as Cool n' Quiet?

I just installed CoreTemp my cpu temp is 26 C!! This HSF is awesome.

Well looks like I might have ran into a barrier. I have it stable at 3.2, 16x multi, 1.3500 vcore. So I raised the multi to 16.5 rebooted and got BSOD on startup. Raised the vcore another .25 rebooted and get BSOD on Windows loading screen. I'm gonna keep it at 3.2 should I maybe raise the Northbridge voltage?

Edited by AllYourF0rt